Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a bunch of girls working for me. We use a dolly with over sized tires and wheel barrows from a place in PA that makes two wheeled commercial units. Moving the mulch is just as easy. Once we get to the beds we start dumping the mulch. It's not like I'm asking my guys to run the Boston Marathon with a bag of mulch. The carry distance is very short. Carrying a 35-50 pound bag of mulch in one trip is much more efficient then going back and forth with a shovel a bunch of times to carry the same amount of mulch.

I did 40 yards of bulk primary grind mulch a few weeks back for a native area. My crew and I will gladly take packaged mulch over bulk any day. Bags present less of a job site mess and allow you to easily meter how fast you are dumping the mulch. You can take a bag behind a hedge and into high density planting areas very easily.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would love to be able to do mulch jobs with bagged mulch. Around here a decent bag of mulch is going for about $4.00 from any local garden shop or big name retailer. If I could find a supplier around here that sold bags for the same (or similar) price that you get them for, I would never go back to bulk.

I did an 20 yard mulch job toward the end of May and it was an absolute nightmare with the bulk mulch, it wasn't so bad in the larger open landscape beds but when I was spreading the mulch around the house with all the flowers, bushes, etc., it was a pain in the butt scooping it out of the wheelbarrow with a shovel or taking handfuls and walking it into the landscape beds.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 06-19-2011, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Every job is different but here's a similar volume job we did with bagged material. The bag count was 3510 (54 pallets!). This was an existing landscape so we didn't want to make 1000 trips over the yard. We used a T190 tracked skid steer. This allowed us to move 4.8 yards (65 bag pallet) of mulch over the yard in one pass. With bulk there's no way you can move even close to that volume of mulch in one pass.

This was the equivalent of 260 yards of mulch. If this had been bulk mulch instead of making 54 trips across different parts of the yard it would have been 260 trips with a one yard bucket. Making 480% more trips across the yard would have have torn up the yard and used a lot more Diesel. Plus I would have needed the rental T190 for two days instead of just one.

Three guys did 3510 bags in four days. That about 36.5 bags per man hours. The beds were pretty open which allowed us to move a lot of mulch quickly. That about 1460 lbs. of mulch per man hour or 2.7 yards depending on what measurement of progress you prefer.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pindo Palm Deals

Here are some pics of some Pindo's I picked up for cheap. The 30G were $70 and the 45G were only $145. You can eat the fruit that the palms make. I already sold three of the 30G's for $250.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

i have used bag mulch befor and think its a PITA then when your done you have to deal with all the plastic going to the landfill. i think if i used bagged mulch i would be laughed at here. then again 1.80 is a damn good price how many bags make a yard?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman88 View Post
i have used bag mulch befor and think its a PITA then when your done you have to deal with all the plastic going to the landfill. i think if i used bagged mulch i would be laughed at here. then again 1.80 is a damn good price how many bags make a yard?
13.5 bags or $24.30
Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Put Out To Pasture

Here's a picture of the second trailer I ever owned. We put over 100,000 miles on this thing. We only used it for mowers and nothing heavy but we still wore out five axles and broke leaf springs twice. I sold it for $880 a few weeks back.

The trailer in in an accident where it was rear ended and it ripped the Ranch Hand bumper off the back of the truck. The trailer needed a new ramp and a little angle iron work that only cost $260. The ramp still worked but it was bent.

Another time a driver fell asleep and did a 180 pulling the trailer doing about 55 mph. The truck went off the road and into a ditch going backyards with the trailer taking the lead. It bent the trailer wheels and ruined the axle but that was it. The trailer was back on the road the next day. The truck tagged a tree just behind the headlights and did about $6k in damage.

The Formen had on his seatbelt but none of the four crew members did. We were extremely lucky the truck didn't roll and have dead bodies all around it. I've been an a-hole about wearing seat belts ever since. You don't get that lucky twice.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

yea if i could get it at that price i would switch to bagged lol
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good God! I do mulching jobs every week that take 20+ Yards of mulch! How many bags = a yard of mulch anyway?

That would probably be a thousand of those bags (or more!)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
Good God! I do mulching jobs every week that take 20+ Yards of mulch! How many bags = a yard of mulch anyway?

That would probably be a thousand of those bags (or more!)
Your only off by 730 bags! 20 X 27=540 divided by 2 cu ft per bag=270 bags. We used just shy of 300 bags today at two houses. I started the day towing 21,000 pounds.

1000 bags of mulch would be 74 yards.