Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed Trailer Recommendations

I want to eventually step up from a basic trailer to an enclosed trailer. Any recommendations on brand, size, must-have add-on's, etc?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haulmark. If you are gonna get it lettered i would opt for the glued sides. They don't have all the rivets in them this way. Size depends on how much equipment you have. And if you are going longer than 16ft, upgrade the axles to 5200lbs
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you. I am definitely getting it lettered so that's excellent info.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

16 foot is good. We purchased a pace. Look for constructiom differences as far as roof supports and deck beam spacing bearing buddies. Tongue lenght. Brakes. Gvw on axel etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://internet-trailer.com/

That's where I ordered mine. Had it custom built and picked it up in Georgia. Create an account with them and you can price out Haulmark, Featherlite, and wells
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't say an enclosed trailer is a step up... It's more of your needs. I've had a haulmark and a cheerokee both were decent trailers both of the axles bent in them too.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The enclosed trailer was a step up for me...no more faded equipment, way better security, cleaner image, put more in it, etc. (been a cheapazz tho and havent had it lettered yet). Get the biggest you can. My 16' + v nose will hold a 52wb, 48ztr, and 36 wb but its getting full with all three mowers in. I have a truck toolbox that holds a toolbag and other necessities like straps as I cant stand having a bunch of extras inside the trailer.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Only get a Enclosed if you really need it! Yes it is nice to have a waterproof "moving garage" for your equipment but it also brings on many responsibilities. Its Bigger so you have to have a CDL when driving it. In most cases.... and its also alot heavier so you gotta have the right truck to pull it. and Once they get old they are almost worthless. They start to dismantle themselves. These trailers are pretty rough on trucks!

I had one for 14 years... (thats 14 years of going up and down on the ramp, being pulled though storms aka He11, etc) the trailer started to come off the tongue (because of the weight of the mowers on the back of the gate while loading. People thought i rigged it so i could dump mulch! it came off the tongue atleast 5"

then finally last year,while we were going maybe 60MPH back to the shop the locks burst, then the bottom hinges broke off and there goes my back door! No accidents thankfully... R.I.P Halmark Enclosed trailer September 23, 2010

I sold it to a guy who uses it for an office now.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the website. I'll check it out!

I really had not considered some of the information that was shared...so I really appreciate that and will definitely make sure my truck can handle the extra load. I live in Florida where is rains an insane amount when it gets going. I want to protect my equipment from the deluge as much as I can. Also, theft is a serious issue where I live (everywhere, right?). Of course, I keep everything I can locked down but there are some things (rakes, shovels, clippers, etc.) I simply can't lock up...I'm looking to create that "moving garage" that Cuttin-to-the-max referred to.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We run Pace Summit trailers. They are hard to beat . Last year before I bought another I looked very hard at a United to save some money but once you start looking close its just not worth it. The Summit trailers are expensive but we feel they are worth it. We have one that is over eight years old and put about 12-14 k on it per year that has only had regular tires and brakes done to it . Also the few hundred dollars to up grade to the 5200# axles is well worth the money when it gives you larger brakes and tires and the heavier axle. I would also recomend the extended tounge. There is less chance of anyone jack knifing it and tearing something up and its a must if you are ever going to tow with a stake body.