Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,269
Last year I spent a ton of time thinking about how to have my current trailer built. I just bought an open trailer last year and ended up having it custom built, so I really thought a lot about what should go on a trailer. A lot of the same concepts can apply to an enclosed trailer that you are looking at. I actually almost decided to go with an enclosed, but the enclosed I priced out was going to run me $6000-$7000 by the time I had all the options installed on it that I would have wanted.

Look at what dealers you have around you. I know some people don't mind traveling to buy a trailer but if you don't have a dealer for that trailer nearby, it may be difficult to get warranty work done or get new parts quickly. Haulmark, Wells Cargo and Pace are some of the big names in the enclosed trailer industry, but like I said you also have to consider what dealers are in your area.

A few options that I would suggest would be teh extended tongue, upgraded 5200lb axles, extra lights inside, LED light package, side vents and/or roof vents, extra height package, spare tire, and a stone guard on the front. I would also suggest a trailer tongue box if you can get one mounted. Some people really like having a cabinet or some type of shelving in the trailer to help keep things organized and be able to carry their extra 2-cycle oil, trimmer string and some tools.

Sizing an enclosed trailer is a little different than an open trailer. I always suggest getting a larger enclosed trailer than open. For example, if a 83"x16' open trailer would be big enough, then an 8.5'x18' enclosed trailer would be a comparable size. Space always fills up fast as I'm sure you know.

You do want to make sure that the trailer you get has quality materials. The wood used for the floor and sidewalls should be thick enough. The 3/8" sidewalls and 3/4" floor should be pretty much standard. A one piece roof is also a must to avoid leaks. Studs/support posts should be 16" apart.

I know that enclosed trailers can have problems with leaking at seams, so it may not be a bad idea to take some chaulk yourself and make sure everything is sealed up nicely.

You will want to make sure that your truck will tow it nicely, it is going to be like a sail behind you so you'll get a ton more drag. I wouldn't worry about a CDL, you shouldn't be over the limit unless you are towing it with a very large truck (like an F450/F550). Make sure that you explore all your options and look through a trailer well before buying. Since it is a fairly big investment, you'll want to make sure it lasts for quite a while.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Puddle of Oil's Avatar
Puddle of Oil Puddle of Oil is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Akron/Canton Ohio
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
Only get a Enclosed if you really need it! Yes it is nice to have a waterproof "moving garage" for your equipment but it also brings on many responsibilities. Its Bigger so you have to have a CDL when driving it. In most cases.... and its also alot heavier so you gotta have the right truck to pull it. and Once they get old they are almost worthless. They start to dismantle themselves. These trailers are pretty rough on trucks!
Not all states require a cdl to tow an enclosed, so speak for yourself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
I get paid to keep the property looking good. It is not hard what we do like anything else in life, added will power, desire and the ability to look for solutions not excuses then you will succeed.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle of Oil View Post
Not all states require a cdl to tow an enclosed, so speak for yourself.
You're better off getting your CDL Because you are pulling with a Commercial Vehicle. And its just a better idea safety wise.....

I've seen a ton of guys who cant drive with an enclosed trailer...(tight turns, running over curbs when there is plenty of space, etc)

Sounds to me you dont have your CDL.......
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Puddle of Oil's Avatar
Puddle of Oil Puddle of Oil is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Akron/Canton Ohio
Posts: 1,192
No I don't have a cdl, don't need one to tow my trailer. I agree, some are stupid with long trailers but you don't need a cdl to drive a 20' trailer, not in Ohio anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
I get paid to keep the property looking good. It is not hard what we do like anything else in life, added will power, desire and the ability to look for solutions not excuses then you will succeed.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Marek Marek is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,285
Having a CDL dosnt make you a better driver ! Have you ever worked around commercial properties where the drivers bounce trailers off curbs all day or cant back a trailer to a loading dock to save thier azz.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM
mybowtie mybowtie is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
You're better off getting your CDL Because you are pulling with a Commercial Vehicle. And its just a better idea safety wise.....

I've seen a ton of guys who cant drive with an enclosed trailer...(tight turns, running over curbs when there is plenty of space, etc)

Sounds to me you dont have your CDL.......
Safety wise?? Really?? Theres No difference towing a open or enclosed. If u cant back up a enclosed, u aint backing up a open the same lenght. If you run over curbs with an enclosed, you'll be runnin over em with a open.

No I dont have a cdl. Used to thou , drove truck 4 several yrs, but dont need it anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybowtie View Post
Safety wise?? Really?? Theres No difference towing a open or enclosed. If u cant back up a enclosed, u aint backing up a open the same lenght. If you run over curbs with an enclosed, you'll be runnin over em with a open.

No I dont have a cdl. Used to thou , drove truck 4 several yrs, but dont need it anymore.
only difference with backing up a enclosed vs. a open is with a open... Most guys can get away with looking out the back window to see where the trailer is headed. opposed to enclosed where you cant! I've been pulling trailers since i was 16 never ran over a curb!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
unkownfl's Avatar
unkownfl unkownfl is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando/Windermere
Posts: 3,757
I have a class A and I hit curbs. It doesn't make you any better of a driver IMHO. Anyone who says they've never curbed a tire with a trailer well I just don't believe you or you don't drive much in the city. Having an enclosed trailer requires a CDL that sounds like complete bull. Almost all states have the same requirements because it is usually the federal standards. All longer trailers are easier to back up its the short ones that are a pia. I have a tow dolly and its a real pain.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 AM
mybowtie mybowtie is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I have a class A and I hit curbs. It doesn't make you any better of a driver IMHO. Anyone who says they've never curbed a tire with a trailer well I just don't believe you or you don't drive much in the city. Having an enclosed trailer requires a CDL that sounds like complete bull. Almost all states have the same requirements because it is usually the federal standards. All longer trailers are easier to back up its the short ones that are a pia. I have a tow dolly and its a real pain.
Tell me about it..When i had snowmobiles, I hated backin up that trailer. I was so used to my 18' landscape trailer, that going to the shorter one was a killer.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 AM
djagusch djagusch is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,436
Anyone have a translusent roof? Saw one online and it brightened up the interior well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.07840 seconds with 7 queries