Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How Do I Attach Racks etc. to the Inside of a Box Truck

I bought a 14' box truck (Grummond box) a while back and I can't find any info on the frame so I don't know how to attach anything to the walls. They are some type of foam the only thing on them are some d rings for strapping stuff to the walls. I don't wan't to just go poking around, any advice welcomed

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

48 views and 100's of 1000's of members and no one has hung a rack or shelf on the inside of a box truck oh boy... maybe this weekend.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

buy some e track rails to attach to the walls or either 2x4 wood and then install your hangers on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So how do you attach the e track? Are there some kind of studs that are vertical to attach to, or are there horizontal braces that are closer to the surface? I can't see just tapping into the foam to secure anything. That's my problem I don't know whats behind the foam or where its at.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the outside of the box for the location of the skins rivets ,where theres a row of rivets ,there will be a stud you can attach to .You would probably be better off bolting or screwing a 1 x 4 across a few studs or the entire box length to spread the load and to allow easy future attachments of other items .I cant remember 100% ,but I think the studs used in a grummon box are an odd shape ,relatively narrow ,and the studs should be located every 18 inches or so [in case not every stud has been riveted to the skin ] .Another way to find the studs would be to use a sharp olfa type knife,with the blade stuck out a few inches,run the blade through the foam insulation parallell with the floor,and you should be able to locate your studs that way as well .If you did this at the height you would like to install your crossboards,then dig the foam out at each stud you might make a little less mess .
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Get some e-track. If you have plywood on your walls its attached to the studs. Take out one of the screws and go to HD and get box of 100. Make sure their self taping. Now go to traileroutlet.com and order everything you need to hang your equipment. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbthims View Post
Look at the outside of the box for the location of the skins rivets ,where theres a row of rivets ,there will be a stud you can attach to .You would probably be better off bolting or screwing a 1 x 4 across a few studs or the entire box length to spread the load and to allow easy future attachments of other items .I cant remember 100% ,but I think the studs used in a grummon box are an odd shape ,relatively narrow ,and the studs should be located every 18 inches or so [in case not every stud has been riveted to the skin ] .Another way to find the studs would be to use a sharp olfa type knife,with the blade stuck out a few inches,run the blade through the foam insulation parallell with the floor,and you should be able to locate your studs that way as well .If you did this at the height you would like to install your crossboards,then dig the foam out at each stud you might make a little less mess .
Thank you! Finaly some valuable information.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the foam insulation going to hold up????

I would just tear it out and do plywood on the sides, then you would know where your studs were.

I just can't see the foam holding up to abuse.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Is the foam insulation going to hold up????

I would just tear it out and do plywood on the sides, then you would know where your studs were.

I just can't see the foam holding up to abuse.
Assuming that the foam is blown in and properly done ,the foam can last millions of miles and many many years .I have seen 20 year old refridgerated transport trailers that the foam was still in virtually mint condition ,and have seen some where the foam job didnt last a month .Its easy to remove ,but an incredably messy job ,but it would keep the temperature inside the box cooler in the summer ,and warmer in the winter so depending on your areas climate it might be wise to retain the foam .
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbthims View Post
Assuming that the foam is blown in and properly done ,the foam can last millions of miles and many many years .I have seen 20 year old refridgerated transport trailers that the foam was still in virtually mint condition ,and have seen some where the foam job didnt last a month .Its easy to remove ,but an incredably messy job ,but it would keep the temperature inside the box cooler in the summer ,and warmer in the winter so depending on your areas climate it might be wise to retain the foam .
I just think of landscaping and all the tools that go along with it. I just wouldn't think it would take much to beat it up after a while.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.