Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You probably lose enough pressure upstream of a 5/8 meter to make it unlikely to max it out in a sprinkler system, unless the static pressure is 100 psi or so.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Uhmm.

If I have a 2" supply that is dropped to a 1" lateral with 4 Hunter PGP with #3 nozzles for example. At 25 PSI. And I add a booster at the joint where the 2" drops to 1". What do you Mensa boys think is going to happen to the GPM going through the 1" lateral? Stay the same? The nozzles are going to allow more gpm. Check the charts. Hence more GPM with a pump!!!

You are so arrogant that you cannot admit when your statements are full of crap.

John
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

jcom ..... you are just as guilty here of making incorrect blanket statements as the others are. So before you start correcting others, you might want to start with correcting yourself.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK Kiril-aka as ML's boy,

I will always fess up. Where have I made a blanket statement that I cannot back up with fact??

If I have, I will be the first to learn and admit it.

I have made blanket statements that I can back up with facts. All of them. I will not make any blanket statements such as "Never" "will never" , "cannot"..

Others cannot.

Last edited by jcom; 06-26-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcom View Post
I have made blanket statements that I can back up with facts. All of them. I will not make any blanket statements such as "Never" "will never" , "cannot"..

Others cannot.
Really? You have stated here time and time again "flow" will always increase with increasing pressure .... an incorrect blanket statement. If you don't think it is, then show it mathematically how it will always be true.

I suggest you start with Bernoulli then move onto Hagen–Poiseuille and Darcy–Weisbach

Last edited by Kiril; 06-26-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Fimco for putting it in such simple terms. Apparently all the Mensa irrigators won't come down to my level for a simple fact that disproves their blanket statements.
I believe jcom is fighting the blanket statement not the reverse. I reread all his posts and can't see where he made a blanket statement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I have stated that an increase in PSI will ALWAYS equate to an increase in GPM, I would need a refresher. That would be a blanket statement that I would take issue with.

It all depends on the "resistance". Nozzles, drip, spigots. If " resistance" remains the same, an increase of PSI (Voltage for electrical) will result in higher GPM. Or watts. for the electrical folks.

Yuan
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If I have stated that an increase in PSI will ALWAYS equate to an increase in GPM, I would need a refresher. That would be a blanket statement that I would take issue with.
Quote:
Under those circumstances, I would agree. You certainly cannot suck what is not available. I am talking about a property where the source of 1" at 30 psi is not able to adequately supply the flow for 12 GPM zones. If you add a booster the flow is most certainly higher. The supply for the house will still have the flow they had before but the flow and pressure for the system will be higher.. Or not?
Quote:
If we know that the increased pressure will result in increased flow to the system, a booster that increases pressure will correspondingly increase flow.

I will stick with my position that a booster absolutely will increase flow through the increase in pressure.
And you still haven't differentiated between flow rate, flow velocity, and flow volume.

Quote:
It all depends on the "resistance". Nozzles, drip, spigots. If " resistance" remains the same, an increase of PSI (Voltage for electrical) will result in higher GPM. Or watts. for the electrical folks
Resistance doesn't stay the same. Once again .... demonstrate mathematically how your statements will always hold true .... that an increase in pressure will always lead to an increase in "flow".
Old 06-26-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

It all depends on the "resistance". Nozzles, drip, spigots. If " resistance" remains the same, an increase of PSI (Voltage for electrical) will result in higher GPM. Or watts. for the electrical folks.

Yuan
What are you refusing to read k?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
What are you refusing to read k?
What are you refusing to read P?