Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Take a look at the new website

Finally got a bit of free time to wrap up my website. It is not 100% of the way complete but almost done. A few good pictures of my work and some of my accounts are on there as well. http://www.garrettsgrassgrooming.com
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would increase the size of the fonts on all menu link items. It also looks like you set it up on a computer with a high screen res, like 1600 by 900. That's fine and good but it makes people with lower screen res' have to scroll every page over to the right to use the menu links. I like to make my pages easy to see and use.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

i like it. looks good. Mine is still a work in progress
Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

It looks pretty good. You need to add more content, try to shoot for 250-500. Your page description should be different for every page.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

spelling of "detaching" in lawn care service description - other than that pretty good for doing it yourself!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The overall look is nice.

What was said about your menu is true. In fact, my monitor is over 1900 wide, but I keep a browser window open sized to about 1200, to keep my icons in view. So I didn't even see your menu.

That's probably your number one problem to deal with. If you keep the header wide, you are almost obligated to put a horizontal menu across the page.

If Garrett's has an apostrophe in the the page text, the header text for that name should have an apostrophe too.

If it were my choice, I'd take the 4 items listed on the bottom with dashes in front, and just put them on one single line, maybe in one size smaller font, to reduce the page height.

Or, just remove the dashes.

Try to remove a speck of brightness from the 2 images and reload them.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In reality, it's not so much the content and attractiveness of the website so much as the SEO and ranking of your company. If people can FIND you when they are looking for your services on the internet, then they will find a way to call or email you. And it's the LEADS that matter =D
Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
In reality, it's not so much the content and attractiveness of the website so much as the SEO and ranking of your company. If people can FIND you when they are looking for your services on the internet, then they will find a way to call or email you. And it's the LEADS that matter =D
If they were in Seattle, I'd say that the finding part could be like a roll of the dice, unless they are searching specifically by name, in which case it would normally be near impossible not to find someone.

But with this website, another look shows that it could be very hard to find.

For example, the testimonials page is not even text. It's an image. and over 6/10 of a megabyte too. A page closing-in on a megabyte that has virtually no text for search engines. Likewise the home page.

Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't spot on the site what city the company was in. The city is shown in one tag, and I looked at the user's location here on Lawnsite.

Bellingham, WA, is a small enough town that search engine results are well within reach, and worth tweaking the text and tags to gain.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is too wide, nice otherwise.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

It is all SEO, page ranking and autofill from search engines. It is a dark art to move up the chain, but if you have a minimum of 30 other websites you can "link up" your site. If you only have one site and know nothing of the dark art you will never drive the traffic you want. What you want is to have your site show up number one or two when someone puts into a search engine a few key words, location, lawn, landscape, mow etc.. You will spend a grand or so per year if you really want a top ranking as you will need to own a minimum of 30 domains and at best 100 or more. At about $10 per domain plus an unlimited hosting plan and other additional add owns needed expect $1500 per year but think of it as any other advertising cost. All the aforesaid assumes you are personally adept at the dark art and have the time to spend on it(expect ten hours per week). If not expect to pay someone a grand or more to get you on top. If you want to know how well you are doing, type into a search engine, your city, the words lawn, grass, landscaping and see where you rank.

Last edited by Penncare; 07-17-2011 at 01:23 AM.