Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Sponsor

I like the colors and styling. Only one big problem - your header image is 1100 px wide. Add to that your navigation box is 237 px wide. Plus about 200 px in the left margin. Total - about 1537 px - way too wide!

Optimal web page width has gone up and down throughout the years. It went up as desktop computer screens became larger - 950 px websites have been optimal for the past few years.

Now and moving into the future, 950 px is borderline because ipads and smart phones are replacing desktops. Their smaller screens have web designers back-tracking - struggling to find the optimal width that will look good smaller (and navigate easily).

Since your type of business will most likely be searched from ipads and desktops (not smart phones), I'd say you should shoot for 950 px. But your navigation panel should definately be on the left - not the right.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penncare View Post
It is all SEO, page ranking and autofill from search engines. It is a dark art to move up the chain, but if you have a minimum of 30 other websites you can "link up" your site. If you only have one site and know nothing of the dark art you will never drive the traffic you want.
Sounds like a waste of time even is someone can afford dozen or more websites. It's also not a art - it is an increase in activity. Or, a decrease in time spent doing other stuff.

Merely a matter of filling forms, making payments and editing code. Most is standard stuff. Except for how much time and money someone wants to spend.

What's not standard sometimes is original content. A single writer can author a single web page that blow the doors down on a multi-site campaign.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890

Last edited by mdvaden; 07-20-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

It is only standard if you can understand the methodology of google algorithms. If it was just easy everyone with a website would be ranked 1 on page one. Your site has a lot of content, and many things which move it up the rankings, but if you have the know how and experience a page that has nothing more than a title can rank very high. Put in the key words for you site and see how you do. By key words not the name of the site, except that in some situations even putting in the site name gets a lower ranking. Copy the results page and send it to me and in one day you will move up the chain. Maybe my analogy was off. Maybe I should have said that rising in the ranking is like putting together a puzzle. You first need all the pieces and a good understanding of where they need to be and when they need to be there. I am not trying to say I am special because I have a basic grasp on how to move up the chain, many have far better skills than do I; but No site should fail to make it to page one by the third after creation day.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On your "Services" page, no one is wearing eye protection in the pictures. I think clients will notice that also.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/7...ogle-rankings/
Good for a little info to get started.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
On your "Services" page, no one is wearing eye protection in the pictures. I think clients will notice that also.

I don't think clients will care if he is wearing eye protection or not. They just want their lawn to look good. They don't care how it gets done.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

a blog can really help you in search engine stuff. The more keywords the better.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seo is important. My site www.bradlewislawncare.com has "we serve clients in Albany Troy latham...." that way if they type that google will realize we go there. References on google maps help a bunch. I notice that every time a customer leaves me a reference with key words like lawn foundation repair demolition junk removal...etc. It is bold when I search random keyword that put me #1 in Troy ny my home town. Plus craigslist postings with http://www.bradlewislawncare.com creates a link and when people click I drive 10-20% of my traffic that way. Makes me more legit.

There is actual code you can put in for google analytcis to show up with your gmail account. I know where people click and where they came from and don't pay a dime to anyone for that information,

I spend $100/yr on site maintenance and edits are extra, but I'm #1 in Troy wynantskill and that area.... I might drive 10-15 clicks just on this post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
You talkin' about the edging by the patio?

The photo quality ain't great, but to me, it looks like they may or may not be wearing them.

One spot looks like the faded corner of a small set of glasses.

So it's probably inconsequential if that's the photo referred too.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would'nt do these jobs with out safety glasses. That's all I ment by my statement.