Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
So...it sounds like a liabilty waiver is a very important thing to have when offering this service. I'm glad I asked. I'd like to know what this "remote" unit to control the irrigation system is. Is it something I can purchase at an irrigation supplier? Does it work with most irrigation systems? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject but I really know very little about most irrigation systems other than adjusting heads occasionally.
the remotes are a life saver. They're pretty simple, you have the remote and then a transmitter that can be either temporarily or permanently mounted to the controller. I mount a transmitter on every install I do and if a new customer calls for a startup or blowout, then I install one on our first visit as well. They let you efficiently check a system with only one person without having to constantly run back to the clock. They are also great if the clock ispunted indoors, you don't need the HO there to let you in
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
So...it sounds like a liabilty waiver is a very important thing to have when offering this service. I'm glad I asked. I'd like to know what this "remote" unit to control the irrigation system is. Is it something I can purchase at an irrigation supplier? Does it work with most irrigation systems? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject but I really know very little about most irrigation systems other than adjusting heads occasionally.
Not sure if a remote would pay off for you if you did not perform irrigation work on the system. The remote itself would be close to $1000 for one that would operate a variety of systems. Then there would be the hookups that would have to be wired for each controller. Might be better for you to have homeowner or irrigation company mark heads as some controllers can be confusing if you don't work with them on a regular basis.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Not sure if a remote would pay off for you if you did not perform irrigation work on the system. The remote itself would be close to $1000 for one that would operate a variety of systems. Then there would be the hookups that would have to be wired for each controller. Might be better for you to have homeowner or irrigation company mark heads as some controllers can be confusing if you don't work with them on a regular basis.
Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking too. I'll bet I can drop flags to quite a few customers and get access to panels and mark the rest myself. Even if I had the expensive remote, it sounds like each timer would need a transmitter installed for the remote to work. I would be getting way deeper into this than I really care to...
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking too. I'll bet I can drop flags to quite a few customers and get access to panels and mark the rest myself. Even if I had the expensive remote, it sounds like each timer would need a transmitter installed for the remote to work. I would be getting way deeper into this than I really care to...
Beware some controllers, especially the cheaper ones can be a "beech" to operate even for someone who works in irrigation on a regular basis. It might end up taking more time than you think walking back and forth & etc. One strategy might be to have a helper with 2 way radios. one operating the controller with one flagging heads. Have done it this way before.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Beware some controllers, especially the cheaper ones can be a "beech" to operate even for someone who works in irrigation on a regular basis. It might end up taking more time than you think walking back and forth & etc. One strategy might be to have a helper with 2 way radios. one operating the controller with one flagging heads. Have done it this way before.
Two people are definitely beneficial for marking. I have sold plenty of new controllers this season because it is often cheaper than the time to use the older or homedepot specials. I can put in a new pro-c with transmitter and rain sensor for so much which can easily save 1/2HR to HR at each years shut down and start up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Aeration

It depends i charge more for people that live in Greenbrier.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtullos View Post
It depends i charge more for people that live in Greenbrier.
Andrew....WHATSUP! You doing all right man. Talk to Greg lately???

Mississippi transplants that live in Maumelle is who I'd really like to put the screws to... They're dumb enough to pay whatever I tell them it will cost.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
I use a woods pl72 (3 point hitch) unit on big jobs. I will have to look up the specs, cant remember how many plugs per foot off the top of my head. She pulls 3-4" plugs with 1000 lbs of weight on the aerator!
I wish we could get plugs that big here... I'm lucky to pull up 1.5'' plugs with my bluebird in the clay! Have to do aeration right after heavy rains here.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 07-05-2011, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Andrew....WHATSUP! You doing all right man. Talk to Greg lately???

Mississippi transplants that live in Maumelle is who I'd really like to put the screws to... They're dumb enough to pay whatever I tell them it will cost.
I see him all the time, you must be doing business with Agraturf now.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtullos View Post
I see him all the time, you must be doing business with Agraturf now.
That was below the belt...You know I wear Lesco...I mean John Deere Green. Me and Greg go back to the days when it was cool for a white man to have a "fro" and he had one. Ask him about it sometime.