Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

That pic was actually taken before the koi were added.

You cant really tell from the picture but the waterfall rocks have a really thick layer of algae on them, thick enough that a regular high pressure attachment on the hose would take it off. I tried to knock some of it off to net out. The surface of the water stays fairly clear, it's down inside the pond, filter and falls that seem to be getting worse.

Turner - currently the fish are about a month old, how long does it take a koi to reach it's maturity?

So when i pull the filter pads out to clean, i can literally scrape off about an 1/8" to 1/4" of be it algae and/or muck. that seems like the pads are doing their job, right?

Talking about the filter, not Tad's underpants...
Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

It all depends on how much and how often you feed your fish I've seen koi at full size withn a 2 year period and that's 2_ 3 feet in size. Those are cases where they r being feed 2- 3 times a day everyday lol.. On average I wouldn't be surprise of a fish that grows 6-8 inches a year w regular feedings. You don't have to feed fish though in a balanced pond with the proper amount of fish n plants they'll feed off the bugs n algae present in a pond.

That's a lot of muck on those pads for just a few days
When was this pond ever cleaned? It sounds like it is in need of one? When you look down into the pond do you see a lot of floating debris? Does stuff get stirred up when the fish move around to the point where it is cloudy?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you take a pic of your filter
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

All I know is the folks we bought the house from put it in themselves about 2 yrs ago. I really don't think it has ever been cleaned prior to me buying the place. What u said about the bottom and the fish swimming is exactly what happens.
I'll get a pic up later when I have a chance. I planned to clean it tomorrow again anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Be very careful when cleaning your pond when the temps are high. Any abrupt change in any water parameter can add even more stress to your fish that are already going to be stressed from being moved. Whatever you are going to use as a holding facility for the fish during cleaning should contain the existing pond water. This will help to moderate the stress. The pH levels of the new water should be between 6.5 - 8.5. Additionally, in your case, after refilling the pond with new water, allow the temperature to stabilize and don't forget to dechlorinate the new water. Be prepared for the pond to turn green and exhibit new algae growth fairly quickly as common tap water is fairly high in NitrAte and Phosphorus which are the 2 main nutrients that plants and algae thrive on and high temperatures will stimulate the growth. Try to use a holding unit for the fish with as large a surface area as you can find. This will help to maintain sufficient Oxygen in the water.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

You know i am certainly ready to just tear down and start over. But i don't have a definite timeframe for when i'll be able to build my new pond. I don't want to keep losing fish at this rate, hell then they'd think i was from STL with that high of a mortality rate.

And really i dont like the waterfall either, If it were my customers pond then i'd do what i needed to. But knowing i am going to move them to there new mansion i just what to take care of the little guys.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Lost another one over the night.

One more thing, is it normal for the system to smell rancid when you turn it on?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

No its not. It tells me that there is a lot of decay probably from leaves or other plant material. Test ur water. If it was me I'd recommended a complete drain and clean. However the best time of year to do this is late fall early spring so if u do one take extra precautions with your fish and how you store them during this just follow what tad had suggested to store them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmascapes View Post
You know i am certainly ready to just tear down and start over. But i don't have a definite timeframe for when i'll be able to build my new pond. I don't want to keep losing fish at this rate, hell then they'd think i was from STL with that high of a mortality rate.
Give me a break! Don't believe everything you read. Get a popup tent and keep the shade over your pond while cleaning it out. Keep the water temp cool if at all possible. That pond is small enough to clean it out on a cool morning, but heed everything Tadpole and Turner have said. If you plan accordingly you can have that pond cleaned in a couple hours. Either way your losing fish unfortunately. Or, if you prefer I can arrange a drive by to cap off the rest of your fish.

I also just reread your post. Why are you turning the system off? Keep it running 24-7!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been shutting it down over night b/c it seems the small fish keep getting up in the pump. They're suicidal so save your rounds STL, I know you'll need them up in ur area. I'll keep it running and I'm going to go today and get plants. We'll see how it turned out
Posted via Mobile Device