Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM
MikeA57's Avatar
MikeA57 MikeA57 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 109
!&%%#*@!*@$ trimmer!!

I just bought a new Stihl KM90R motor and got an Autocut 25-2 trimmer head (NOT the C25) for it. Overall, I love the trimmer, but I'm having what I think is more trouble with it than I think I should for a ~$300 trimmer setup. And, before I go any further, let me add the the problem could VERY WELL BE ME, so I'm not trying to bash the machine, unless it really turns out to be the machine.

The problem I've been having is with the line. It seems that every 5-7 minutes I'm having to stop it and take the head apart to get the string back out of the exit holes. They get stuck between two other layers of string and then cut until they break off. Then you gotta take it apart and pull it back out. After just 20-30 feet, I'm back doing it again. I've tried to be extra careful about how I load the line but nothing seems to help. Is it this trimmer head, is that why they came out with the C25 model? Or, is it me? If it's the head, what's a good replacement model, Stihl or otherwise?

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA57 View Post
I just bought a new Stihl KM90R motor and got an Autocut 25-2 trimmer head (NOT the C25) for it. Overall, I love the trimmer, but I'm having what I think is more trouble with it than I think I should for a ~$300 trimmer setup. And, before I go any further, let me add the the problem could VERY WELL BE ME, so I'm not trying to bash the machine, unless it really turns out to be the machine.

The problem I've been having is with the line. It seems that every 5-7 minutes I'm having to stop it and take the head apart to get the string back out of the exit holes. They get stuck between two other layers of string and then cut until they break off. Then you gotta take it apart and pull it back out. After just 20-30 feet, I'm back doing it again. I've tried to be extra careful about how I load the line but nothing seems to help. Is it this trimmer head, is that why they came out with the C25 model? Or, is it me? If it's the head, what's a good replacement model, Stihl or otherwise?

Thanks,

Mike
I know what you are saying and you are maybe winding to tight. You can get better luck with less line or the way I do it, but I don't know if I can explain this right, but maybe it is the same on the echo trimmer as the Stihl. You put in the two ends of the line on the head and then start reeling the opposite way, then you cut the line in the middle and you now have your two ends! I then let the spool go on both sides and let it unwind on it's own (controlling it) and wind it back in gently and then I put the line on the holding tabs till I feed it through the holes and then lock it in. This works for me and I never get any issues withe the line locking up on the feed. Takes a little time to get it right, but after 40,000 spools, I finally got it down
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 06-25-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 PM
dboyd351 dboyd351 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cape Charles, VA
Posts: 913
Why don't you just get a Speed Feed head? Do a search - it's far and away the most popular replacement head.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 PM
FLAhaulboy FLAhaulboy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: break time
Posts: 854
Sounds like your winding the line to tight.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Why don't you just get a Speed Feed head? Do a search - it's far and away the most popular replacement head.
I have never seen that before, that is a fantastic trimmer head. I think I will pick one of those up if I see one!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNupu...eature=related
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 PM
dboyd351 dboyd351 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cape Charles, VA
Posts: 913
CapeMay,
You can buy them online. The 375 is the smaller one and holds about 10 feet of .095 line. The 450 holds about twice as much. Buy the universal fit head (with the additional adaptors) if you aren't sure which will fit your trimmer.
I just bought one online and put it on my Tanaka. It is working great!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
CapeMay,
You can buy them online. The 375 is the smaller one and holds about 10 feet of .095 line. The 450 holds about twice as much. Buy the universal fit head (with the additional adaptors) if you aren't sure which will fit your trimmer.
I just bought one online and put it on my Tanaka. It is working great!
Thanks for the info! I would prefer the smaller head if it would fit an Echo. Do you know if these come standard on new Shindaiwa's? I have been toying with the idea of getting a new trimmer and my Hustler dealer carries Shindaiwa and Stihl. I could live with a Shindawia trimmer with the speed feed head.
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
dboyd351 dboyd351 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cape Charles, VA
Posts: 913
I don't know Shindaiwa trimmers very well, but I do know the Speed Feed head is also known as a Shindy Speed Feed, so I'm pretty sure it is standard on all Shindaiwa's. The Oregon brand Speed Feed head is the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2011, 10:21 AM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,779
Get rid of the Stihl line and use a higher quality line.
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 AM
avguy's Avatar
avguy avguy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 533
I replaced my sthil head with the Speedfeed & never looked back. I bought the 375 for my FS85 as I felt the 450 might be a bit heavy for that trimmer. It's great.....no dismantling anything & it takes about 2 min to reload.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Page generated in 0.09576 seconds with 7 queries