Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Get rid of the Stihl line and use a higher quality line.
Yeah, the round line that comes in the head is awful.
Still, it could be wound too tight. I spray my line with silicone spray, but have read here that armorall or pledge also keep it from getting stuck.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
I replaced my sthil head with the Speedfeed & never looked back. I bought the 375 for my FS85 as I felt the 450 might be a bit heavy for that trimmer. It's great.....no dismantling anything & it takes about 2 min to reload.
A friend gave me a SpeedFeed 450 head that I put on my Shindaiwa T260 (24cc). It does good...but I think a 375 would be better, but I got the 450 for free.

Kevin
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

That's weird... I posted a reply or at least thought I did yesterday but it didn't show up.

Thanks for all the responses and you guys are probably right; I've probably wound the line too tight. I'll reload and put on the spool looser and see what happens.

The SpeedFeed head sure does look like a well thought out product and I wouldn't mind trying one but if I can get this one to work, it'll be $30 I can spend somewhere else. If it keeps giving me grief though, I'll be getting one pronto!

So what line do you guys recommend? I bought a 1 lb pack of .095 Echo line but it's round stuff with diagonal impressions in it. It seems to work fine but I was wondering if the "roundness" was causing the line to stick together on the spool.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
A friend gave me a SpeedFeed 450 head that I put on my Shindaiwa T260 (24cc). It does good...but I think a 375 would be better, but I got the 450 for free.

Kevin
Well you can't beat free...... I've used a metal brush blade with mine & that's where I felt the 450 would be too heavy. Every now & then I wished I had a couple more cc's in my Sthil but over all it does a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA57 View Post
That's weird... I posted a reply or at least thought I did yesterday but it didn't show up.

Thanks for all the responses and you guys are probably right; I've probably wound the line too tight. I'll reload and put on the spool looser and see what happens.

The SpeedFeed head sure does look like a well thought out product and I wouldn't mind trying one but if I can get this one to work, it'll be $30 I can spend somewhere else. If it keeps giving me grief though, I'll be getting one pronto!

So what line do you guys recommend? I bought a 1 lb pack of .095 Echo line but it's round stuff with diagonal impressions in it. It seems to work fine but I was wondering if the "roundness" was causing the line to stick together on the spool.
I've been working on a huge pkg of Shindaiwa round line for a couple of years now. It did ok & actually I've never had the sticking problems some here are talking about. I did pick up a pkg of the .095 Lesco the other day & I have to say it cuts much better than what I had been using.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Get rid of the Stihl line and use a higher quality line.
What line do you recommend??
Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I have two Stihl trimmers and an Echo. I have bought loads of blades and stringy deals for them.

Then I saw a video of a grass cutting competition. A slim 16 year old girl with a scythe totally put a great big dude with a mega Husky trimmer totally to shame. I can cut more grass or brush in less time with my scythes than a trimmer. I don't get covered in chopped up grass. I don't have to hear the loud whinny motor or breathe all the gas fumes either.

I realize this is a little retro and not for everybody. I run a dog park in a sylvan environment where people are trying to relax, screaming motors & gas fumes do not help. Dogs tend to either run from or bite at loud whinning weird things too. They are use to seeing me with a staff or shepherds crook. The scythe just fits right in.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A scythe will only work in open fields.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, if you have a helper, he can use the Shepherd's Crook to herd the grass before you cut it with the scythe. The Amish do it all the time.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, but how fast can you use a scythe around trees, fences, and brick retaining walls?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually I find the Scythe to be better around trees, fences & shrubs than a trimmer. There are different blades made for different work. Shorter heavier blades are great for trimming close to things, long delicate blades are good for "mowing"with. My wooded areas and fruit tree area is where i use my scythes the most. There is much more chance of damaging tress, shrubs fences.. with a trimmer than a scythe.

I am no scythe expert but even with my limited experience I have found them to be very helpful. The main problem is finding good scythes and blades made by people who know how to fit them to the user, but they have grown in popularity in recent years and there are several places in the US and Canada where "the real deal" can be bought.

I would just suggest that you not knock the idea if you have not tried it.