Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2002, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Loading a ZTR on Trailer... Which way?

Ok guys, do you drive forwards onto your trailers and back off, or back on and drive off?

I just picked up that Woods 1250 ZTR, used for $250.. Best money I think I may of ever ever ever spent, so far. <G>

The tires don't have enough traction to get up my trailer ramp going forward.

Backing up the ramp... good god, I think the mower is gonna flip over heels over head.. I was able to get the mower on my trailer with a guy behind me, pushing.. But now I was going to load the mower to take it out, and I felt like I was nearly going to flip. The whole third (rear) wheel was way up in the air, I felt weird and suddenly WHAM, the whole thing came slamming down on the trailer deck.. Thank goodness I made it. And as a virgin ZTR driver, it could of been ugly.

I know I have to make my trailer ramp/gate longer..

But I'm still concerned as to how you load your trailer, especially with a front mount ztr like a Woods..
Thanks,
Gary
Old 10-18-2002, 11:31 PM

LOL on the 3rd tire in the air and then slamming down. Been there done that with a Walker. Wait until you do the forward backward forward backward in high speed a few times. Today will not feel like the virgin run. You will mess your pants, almost, and people looking on will laugh.

At first I drove my Walkers on forward. After time there was a little spring loaded flap that the springs got busted from the wind. When I replaced them then I always backed on so the wind didn't wreck the springs again.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I almost did wet my pants...

Like I said, the guy who I bought the mower from helped me load it on cause it was my first.... 5 minutes EVER on a ztr.. And putting it on backwards, looking behind myself.. hell it's hard enough to steer a trailer the right way in a truck, much less use 2 chop-sticks to back a mower up a STEEP ramp for the very first time.. So anyway, getting home was fine.. Getting it off was WHEEE like a roller coaster... <G>

But getting it back on the trailer, solo, is a little rough.. I know my tires are shot for traction, but I can't get it to a dealer cause I can't get it on the trailer. I did read to LOWER the pressure as a general rule for more traction.. How low can one go? The max inflate on the grasshopper 18*8.5-8's that are on there now I believe is 12 PSI and they are at 12 psi...

And my wife is out right now.. I really though the whole friggin thing was gonna flip "Heels over head", not head over heels... <G>

Gary
Old 10-19-2002, 12:13 AM

Maybe a full throttle run at it.

Tire pressure should be good under 20. That is what I ran my Walkers at.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

put a block on your trailer gate, or extend it to ease the slope and reduce the angle.

then drive on, back off.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For me.....

Back on,drive off. With most of the weight being over the center of the tandems on the trailer.(For both mowers)
The WB is drive on,back off.
Just my .02
Old 10-19-2002, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

u might consider putting a hitch that will raise the front of the trailer 6 inches or so. an added benefit from this is, it can make the truck brake better . good luck.
Old 10-19-2002, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how long is your tailgate? mine is four feet. once you do it a few times it will come natural, just list driving a car. when i frist got my walker it took me a little longer to back mine on. try what cpt. devo said w/ the wood block
Old 10-19-2002, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have an over center trailer that tips then when you drive on it tips down when you get over the center point - you should have seen me trying to load an old clutch dixon ZTR one time - I had the front castors off both sides and back and forth about five times in 3 seconds. The guy that owns the mower and myself both had to clean our underwear. - I am a tractor (steering wheel) driver myself and that was my first experience with two handles - It will get better, just experiment with what works for you.

Thanks, Brad
Old 10-19-2002, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I try to keep the majority of the weight close to the axles. Depending on what all is on the trailers I will sometimes back on, but mostly I pull forward on the trailers.

Time for some new tires.