Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Isuzu NPR engine choices

Very briefly I have the need to acquire an additional haul vehicle and have been examining the NPR series of four door chassis's.

My question is for NPR owners or operators who have direct first hand experience with these vehicles.

I have priced out the diesel and the chevy 6.0 liter chassis's with the 6.0 liter being substantially less expensive - now my questions.

With load and tow ratings being the same how does the 6.0 liter and not the older 5.7 liter compare regarding the diesel in terms of:

1. Fuel use.
2. Performance, such as hill climbing, acceleration, de-acceleration, cab noise and perceived heat from the motor transmitting into the cab.
3. Reliability up to about 150,000 miles
4. Operating/maintenance cost
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it just depends on what you like i have a NPR dump truck
and its a lemon... SO im bout to shove it in the dealers window! Only thing i dont like about it was they didnt bake a AWD one so plowing with it SUCKS. Even with a load.
Really they have the same engine as a Chevy!
Great for hauling.... Mine has been in the shop 50 times since 2007 Excluding oil changes.
Has 70,000 miles.....
but i think i have a different case on my hands! Because there are MANY on the road riding strong!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

i have an 01 npr isuzu diesel auto. 188,000 miles ,had it for 3 yrs. 13-14mpg
loaded. has good a/c and good heater but i dont use the air just roll the windows down a few inches. i run the a/c when it rains cause the winshield
fogs up. mechanically sound truck , tight no rattles , has exhaust brake very
good. has good take off or pick up but i'm not going to win any races. very
goood turning radius
very dependable diesel , no problems
just had brake job done at the isuzu dealer,
Old 06-27-2011, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also im not sure if you plow or not But I put a boss straight blade on mine.... Shakes the whole truck when i rotate the plow but You WONT find a better view of the snow With a Cab over! Its like the IMAX of Snowplowing!
You wont be able to plow if the snow is too heavy but you'll be able to see it!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bamaturf, thanks for the reply - and cutting, while I do know how to push snow there really isn't much call for it here in C. Texas.
Where I am at decision wise is this: I can get a quad cab truck with the gas motor and a hybrid dump bed, meaning the dove tail removes so I can also use the truck as a light duty dump - for the same price as a diesel powered quad cab non-hybrid bed truck.
Even running cursory numbers it would take like six years for the diesel to pay for itself providing diesel doesn't skyrocket in price again.
I am leaning towards the gas combo but haven't committed yet.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
Bamaturf, thanks for the reply - and cutting, while I do know how to push snow there really isn't much call for it here in C. Texas.
Where I am at decision wise is this: I can get a quad cab truck with the gas motor and a hybrid dump bed, meaning the dove tail removes so I can also use the truck as a light duty dump - for the same price as a diesel powered quad cab non-hybrid bed truck.
Even running cursory numbers it would take like six years for the diesel to pay for itself providing diesel doesn't skyrocket in price again.
I am leaning towards the gas combo but haven't committed yet.
Get a Gas more than enough power for you. And that combo is sweet thinking about getting one on my next truck.

I put sides on my bed so it can haul more than just 2 yards of mulch...I suggest you do that too! Because this truck is made for hauling and pulling. last year i put over 3 tons of rock in the back of the bed with a Boss plow.. Then over 10 Yards of mulch with sides! Hauled @$$/ noooo problems!