Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

HELP Swamp problem

Hello Everyone,

I'll be honest I wanted to join the forum for some free landscaping advice. About me: I recently got into detailing cars and quickly become a fanatic. I recently bought a tent to house cars in, because some of the equipment I use can't be used in direct sunlight and my garage is occupied with my dad's old stuff.

Here's the problem, the people who designed my backyard are really stupid basically they made like this <---all water in the middle

The problem is when it rains, the water gathers in the middle of my tent making it very muddy and swampy..it doesn't help that when I drive cars in and out causing the grass to die. I want to get permanent fix, something that will absorb the water and keep the floor dry..BTW I don't care for grass and if I had the money would probably the whole backyard landscaped

I was thinking some kind of small stone to put there that will absorb the water

Also Mods feel free to move my thread if I have not placed it in the right place
Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Also I'm just a student in college, I can't spend more then $300 on this problem
Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't the easiest "fix" be to move your tent to the higher ground adjacent to the fence?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could use the 12x12 concrete pads and make a concrete slab out of them. This is what I did in my backyard for my dogpen. I didn't want to pour concrete but wanted to be able to keep it clean. I just got 2x4s, nailed them together to form the square, then drilled holes and put long railroad spykes as anchors through them. Then I put my concrete pads in there and they stay good and tight. I've had it like this for a couple of years without problems. The thing is though you need to lay your 2x4s flat so you can drive over them. I think my 10' by 10' pad cost me a little over $100 bucks to put down. I bought the pads at Home Depot. Basically you have a concrete slab that can later be removed and used somewhere else.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjammin View Post
Wouldn't the easiest "fix" be to move your tent to the higher ground adjacent to the fence?
My tent is 12 ft. wide and the backyard is only 18ft wide so I don't have much wiggle room, even if I move it to the extreme left or right I would stiff have the same problem
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINKY1902 View Post
You could use the 12x12 concrete pads and make a concrete slab out of them. This is what I did in my backyard for my dogpen. I didn't want to pour concrete but wanted to be able to keep it clean. I just got 2x4s, nailed them together to form the square, then drilled holes and put long railroad spykes as anchors through them. Then I put my concrete pads in there and they stay good and tight. I've had it like this for a couple of years without problems. The thing is though you need to lay your 2x4s flat so you can drive over them. I think my 10' by 10' pad cost me a little over $100 bucks to put down. I bought the pads at Home Depot. Basically you have a concrete slab that can later be removed and used somewhere else.
Good idea will look into that
Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look into a catch basin or something to trap the water at the surface to allow the area to dry out.

http://www.ndspro.com/drainage-syste...well-dry-well/

Even if you lay pads, it will still be wet underneath. I would just go with two flow wells, buried under the tent. Use the top to put a grate on it to catch surface water, then possibly put some gravel in your tent for a harder surface and to keep the mud down when the grass dies.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I own & run a Dog Park on 12 acres, much of it is in the valley for a large creek, so I fight this battle full time.

I have a sign at the end of my drive way saying I will take loads of wood chips. I spread the chips over the low area creating a dryer more durable surface than grass. Several inches of chips rots away to a much smaller volume quickly in the hot southern sun. You are left with something more like Peat Moss or Natures Helper that grows grass very well. You can also just pile the chips up and apply smaller amounts as they rot, this will slowly raise the low spots, without killing the grass.

Chips are free, great mulch and initially handle traffic quite well. I have a tractor with loader that I move them around with. In your much smaller area a simple wheel barrow might do the trick.

Good luck with the low spot.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete is expensive and fairly permanent... a couple loads of sand brought into the tent turning it into the high ground... then once you are happy with those results make the floor your want on ground that is high and dry...

What happens to the lawn/landscape, after you leave?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2 yards of 5/8 minus rock would do the trick if you don't care for the grass