rayholio

heard about the twisters,

hope u and ur family r ok bud
Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DITTO with jbturf
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He posted on another thread that he was north of the bad destruction and has been helping ever since it hit. The main destruction was on the south side of the town.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I didn't see this til now..

Here's my account:

the minutes after the tornado were indescribable. People crawling out of rubble.. entire blocks inaccessible.. I personally ran onto 3 people suffering from "chest pain".. which could not be helped... some lady and her husband were injured.. and loaded in the back of a truck... the owner of which wondered off... he had promised to take them to the hospital. An officer was trying to set up a staging area, and field hospital.. he waved me down, and had me winch a van off of the lot... it had a husband and wife in it... one dead. The other dying.... officer said that they had to prioritize. The now empty van was still there today.

Day 2 was road clearing and search + rescue. Friends and family returned during the storm to get priority possessions. people tried to get reunited with friends and family

Day 3 was pretty much salvage operations. There is still some search and rescue.. but the situation changed from crisis to recovery. Helping people literally dig thru their homes was hard. Also lots of flat tires to fix.. I carry an air compressor on my jeep.. and it got lots o use..

this is the 1st night that I anticipate a good nights sleep... I feel like the situation is under control.

---------------------
Background, and current info:

The tornado cut the city in half.. went from one extreme edge to the other thru the dead center of town. Which happened to be the most populated. It was an f5 which traveled at less that half the speed of similar tornadoes... my brother said it was tearing at his house for over 3 minutes.

I heard that over 8000 dwellings were affected, the huge majority of which are unlivable. Most people are staying with friends and family... we have 2 other families living with us..
The majority of the affected were renting.. Joplin, being one of the poorer metro cities doesn't have a lot of people who carry renters insurance.. most people are digging for their prized possessions, and starting over with no assistance guaranteed. The rental market in Joplin was stressed before all of this. Now I fear that it will be Maxed, and leave those who lack credit homeless.

There is a massive economic impact... eventually we'll be flooded with reconstruction jobs.. but the #1 employer is the hospital.... which was decimated. A large section of retail, restraunt, and service businesses was also flattened.

They say 25% of the city of 50000 is gone... and 35% was affected. Nearly everyone here was directly affected via a close friend or family member who lost everything... several of my friends lost their homes.

What's amazing is that our homeless shelters are not full.. only 120 confirmed dead thus far.. there's plenty of food, and fuel.. everyone is upbeat, and looking on the bright side for the most part. We have public Safety officials from all over the us here.. and volunteers are so numerous that there's not much to help with anymore... yet.

a conservative city, People here are proud, and willing to work for themselves... but many don't yet realize themselves the impact, and what their needs will be in the coming months. We do still need some supplies.. for those with in tact homes... batterys, radios, food, and water... for those without homes.. hygiene products.. laundry supplies, and other things which will allow them to keep their pride, and stay somewhat self sufficient...

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and donations.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, I just can't imagine. Saw a man from Joplin interviewed by a reporter last night. He said he is still looking for his wife. Firemen probed and used a camera to search for her, in the debris left of their home. She wasn't there, he said its just like she vanished.

Glad your ok Ray. Good luck to you and your family and friends. Looks like a long road ahead of you guys down there.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ray

Friday the 13th August of 2004 Hurricane Charlie hit my town and me. So I know a Little of what you are dealing with. It does seem like we are getting more natural disasters in 21th century than we did years ago in the 20 century.

Disasters like this either Make or Break people. In my case Hurricane Charlie broke me and the after shock of losing everything send me into a deep depression. Don't let that happen you. Look at this as a golden opportunity to make a ton of money helping to rebuild your town. First by cleaning up Debris and then installing new Landscape.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's pretty devastating down in Joplin.

I witnessed an F2 tornado growing up and I wish to never go through that again.

Rayholio, Hope you get some rest and I wish you and everyone else down there good luck in the recovery and my thoughts go out to the victims.

Don't be afraid to get some sleeping pills to rest too. Sounds like you could have some serious nightmares after that.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear you're ok man. In our thoughts and prayers...
Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear your ok ray,
Saw on the news this morning that 5 semis are being loaded in Indy from people donating necessities and heading to Joplin.

Terry
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The help and donations here have been great. People from all over are here helping. It's great to see our community pull together to get through this disaster. It went through a highly populated part of our town. Just amazing the damage it has done. Most of my accounts are in this area and they have all lost their home. Also have family and friends without homes now. I went out a few minutes to check on customers and family. We had to walk a few miles to check on everyone. On that walk I saw people that were in their cars during the tornado that didn't make it. It was awful.
Posted via Mobile Device