Register free!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
No. I do not depend on the grassy weed preemergents for broadleaf weed control. Having said that, there was a zoysia lawn on an estate that always had a problem with crabgrass and broadleaf weeds taking over in the period between December and March. I mixed Dimension and Gallery in the fertilizer application in November. It has been cold, cloudy, windy and raining hard from December till now. Perfect weather for weeds to take over, impossible weather for me to spray in. I saw the lawn in early June. No weeds. I used 1 lb Gallery DF and 10 oz Dimension 40 WP per acre.
interesting

i believe oxalis and spurge are on the dimension label , broadleaf wise

i have about 20 bags of 13-00 dimension left over because i pre ordered and ended up not getting a large account i was banking on

i think i may try using it up in the fall on the lawns with the biggest issues
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks
Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those weeds sure are on the label. I asked my Dow rep about this, his suggestion was to use Dimension for grassy weeds and Gallery for broadleaves. However, I am in a different situation. I normally price based on 12 months of service. If an application of something does not work, I have to take care of it no extra charge, there is also a very high risk of me losing the account. There are no other spray companies around to take my place, however when friends tell friends who tell friends....................

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Those weeds sure are on the label. I asked my Dow rep about this, his suggestion was to use Dimension for grassy weeds and Gallery for broadleaves. However, I am in a different situation. I normally price based on 12 months of service. If an application of something does not work, I have to take care of it no extra charge, there is also a very high risk of me losing the account. There are no other spray companies around to take my place, however when friends tell friends who tell friends....................
i havent used gallery

unfortunately most of my accounts are 4-5 step basic weed and feeds (dimension in spring, 30-04 and three way the rest of the way)

not saying i dont have some nice lawns, but i would like to get deeper into like you and really get every last weed

i only have a few that get the all out package

1.dimension
2.fert w/merit , blanket spray with spectator and herbicide
plus automatically treating and billing for problem weeds, diseases and insects
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Different market and different expectations. My prototypical client is a widow in the suburbs whose former husband was a slave to the lawn. Not one weed anywhere. The typical property is also worth 3/4 million or more. The other case is the estate worth millions, the "landscapers" and yard boys have already had a crack at it, the homeowner is not looking for fast, cheap and half azzed. The way I keep these clients is to get every last weed.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Different market and different expectations. My prototypical client is a widow in the suburbs whose former husband was a slave to the lawn. Not one weed anywhere. The typical property is also worth 3/4 million or more. The other case is the estate worth millions, the "landscapers" and yard boys have already had a crack at it, the homeowner is not looking for fast, cheap and half azzed. The way I keep these clients is to get every last weed.
everything around me is blue collar 40-50k income households, so they want a decent lawn at a decent price

but i am working hard at sticking my foot in the higher class suburbs a little further out ,the only guys really out there are TG, and they do not kill oxalis or violet and honestly their CG control i think is subpar

and i have a handful of free lawns i do strictly for experimentation and testing out different products , along with trying to pull some higher dollar programs
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How does a company with a reputation for bad work get its foot into that kind of neighborhood? What they do would not fly here no matter how cheap or expensive. In Hawaii, the normal thing for homeowners to do is to hand weed their lawn constantly. No weeds. If I come around and tell them that there will be no more hand weeding needed, I had better produce or else. On the other hand, believe it or not, I have had clients from out of state. My problem with them has been that they expect me to spray in the wind and the rain like TG did back home. Not happening. The DOA here would put me out of business for that. I believe in producing premium results and not breaking laws or disrespecting the environment. That has carried me far. Even for people who are naturally leery about chemicals. Many of the locals are afraid of chemicals. They remember when the sugar plantations used to aerial spray 2.4-D and worse. I control the weeds without burning up their lawn like the uneducated yard boy used to or killing every tree, shrub and flower down wind of the lawn.

I started my own business back in 2007, Prior to that, I was the spray man/irrigation tech for a landscaper. When I left, a number of that company's clients followed me. I also put my name out with the local nurseries and sod farms because when there is a problem in the lawn or landscape the frequently given advice is to ask the sod farm or nursery. I also network with landscape/lawn maintenance operations that do not spray. Interestingly enough, the bigger companies that do spray, sometimes tap into me for assistance with problems.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i imagine TG gets in there strictly with their name

most customers are probably not aware of other options

plus, if you have seen some of their prices lately.......

but i am proud, i have 6 accounts this year that switched to me from TG

and it is amazing the conditions i have seen them working in around here
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know, even widows are often on a tight budget. They are warned that I am expensive for someone that does not also cut grass, trim trees and haul trash like a yard boy does. Producing results is the bottom line. I normally have to tell people like this to keep me on the down low. Don't want more work than I can handle. So far, the herbicides have not caused me to grow extra hands.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Imagine where TG/CL would be today if they started out with the name Tru-Green!!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgw View Post
i imagine TG gets in there strictly with their name

most customers are probably not aware of other options

plus, if you have seen some of their prices lately.......

but i am proud, i have 6 accounts this year that switched to me from TG

and it is amazing the conditions i have seen them working in around here
Good on you!

My DOA has told me of instances where they have driven by and witnessed someone spraying in the wind. That is cause for a full audit on the spot. Which takes about a few hours and in that case, there is cause to assess a big fine. Label violation. The DOA does not make up their own rules, they simply hold you to everything printed on the bottle. Spraying under conditions that favor drift or off target movement...............label violation.