Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with estimating for weed pulling jobs

I've been getting quite a few calls recently from customers wanting me to pull weeds in their planting beds. I've stuck mainly to mowing, mulch, stone, etc. until now but am seeing an opportunity here. However, I am uncertain what to charge...and that type of work is tedious. Any suggestions on price point?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what your doing doesnt matter when pricing, its how long your doing it. Whether its pulling weeds or mowing grass, its all based on time
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

ok. That makes sense. Then i'll set my price point according to what i need to make per hour. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

the best way to estimate is to go out and pull weeds in a yard, find out how long it takes you and go from there. By now you should have a base hourly rate.

hope this helps

a proud company of:
http://www.GRBgroups.com
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lawn View Post
what your doing doesnt matter when pricing, its how long your doing it. Whether its pulling weeds or mowing grass, its all based on time
Exactly, get good at estimating your time, as far as mulch jobs and such just double the cost of your material IE: $25/yd would be $50-$60/yd installed.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For weed pulling you got to get the price point reasonable. People are not going to pay someone$25 per hour to pull weeds. So something around $10 is more reasonable. And to make money you need customers and this might be a way to work your way in and it isn't going to kill you to pull weeds. Compared to roofing a house at 100F this work is sissy.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

...The heat index today was 105. lol I did a weed-pull gig this afternoon after this post. I took a look at the area needing weeded and the shear quantity of weeds...I quoted the family $50. It took me about an hour and a half. I think I will need to do a few more to determine a good price point. I think $25+ per hour is do-able and reasonable. I guess I also need to figure out if there is a time difference between weeding out of dirt vs rock vs mulch. It was rock today. Good feedback guys.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Compared to all the other work you do, weed-pulling may be a little redundant, but for me personally, it's my least favorite work to do. If I could get away with it, I would charge more per-hour to pull weeds than any other service I offer. Unfortunately, being such a simple task (though tedious), people simply will not buy into that. It's very difficult to make the same cash per-hour as other services (i.e: mowing, mulch, stone, etc.), but I would make the best of the situation, be diligent, and prove your liability to the customer. In fact, weed-pulling is one of the best ways to upsell another service. For example, if the weeds are an empty bed, you could suggest laying down some weed-prevent fabric, and put some nice mulch on top. Adds a nice positive to the negative IMO.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man, you guys sound like a bunch of Lawn Jockey's.

45 an hour is my rate with a one hour minimum. It's soon to jump to 50 if gas doesn't start dropping.

When it comes to mulch, 80-100 a yard depending on the prep work and any other materials involved.

What happens is that once you start getting the weeds under control, then it will take you less time to do each additional weeding, so you need to make it worth your time and effort.

Get licensed to spray also. You can do Round-up applications to help control weeds and also apply Pre-Emergence control.

Then once you get the hang of it all, you can offer your clients full services that includes mowing for a weekly premium and you can keep your time and costs down.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What you're doing doesn't matter.....only how long you're doing it?????

I don't even hate to say it. It DOES matter, to me.

Would you charge the same hourly rate to clean por-o-lets as you do to ride on your ZTR? If the answer is "yes", God Bless you.