Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
My Cub dealer told me he had guy's try to tear the lawn with the Tank S and said it wouldnt do it no matter how hard they tryed. I really thought about the Z Force 48 S but, was scared of the longevity of the steering system. Good luck with whatever you chose. The Hustler fastrac SD is a really nice machine. I went with my buddy to pick his up. He really likes it.
Randy, I'm going to take a better look at the steering system today. I'm a reliability engineer by trade, so I have the same concerns. When I looked at it briefly the other day it seems pretty solid and fairly straight forward. One advantage I see on the S model is that the transmissions will see less jaring since the machine is controlling the turning instead of the operator with the bars.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I looked at the cub and a few other brands of zero turns today, and I think the S is a good design and it looks very solid. The weak point of the those cub cadets to me is the lifting mechanics, very weak. I'm now leaning towards a Gravely ZT HD, proven components at a reasonable price.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I also looked at the Hustler Fastrack SD, but the gravely zt hd is pretty similar but $1,500 bucks less.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

For over 1000 dollars more the Gravely should be a superior mower than the Cub. I dont believe the Gravely is superior to the Hustler SD. The only difference in the 2800's and 3100 wheel motors is the 3100 has a steel pinion gear. The Hustler SD has 3400 wheel motors, ROS and looks bigger all the way around. Its only 500 dollars more than the Gravely. If I were going to spend 3400. I would go ahead and spend the extra 500 for the hustler.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

The Hustler FasTrack Super Duty has 3100 hydro's, the same as the Gravely XL HD, http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/oem/hustler.

The local dealer by me gave me a price of $6,400 for a FasTrack 54" verses a 52" Gravely XL HD for $4,800, that's a $1,600 premium or 133% more.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

since your thinking gravely let me shed some light on the subject . i have about 7 of them all bought new at the same time all have currently between 600-800 hours total with 35 hours a week being put on them.
for a home owner are they good i think so. For commercial use i say maybe,
All was great on all of them to the 500 hour mark and this is what has been done since
1 unit has had a caseseal on the hydro replaced/ started seeping at 200 hours blew out at 600 hours$350.00 total repair
unit 2 starter gave no warnig of tearing up 700 hours started fine, sharpened blades went to start again nothing but a spinning noise.
dealer said shaft broke off 325.00 for repair
unit 3 has had about 9 trips over electrical issues clutch wont come on pop the switch 3 times and on it comes

unit 4 starter and flywheel after shaft broke on it as well. now it is doint the same with the clutch switch was replaced used a week now the system is dead.

unit 5 rocker arm worked lose, 5 days later again that time a bent push rod as well

unit 6 and 7
same clutch deal but it shoots fuses and we have to replace the fuse the let the mower run to build back the voltage to allow the clutch to function again.
at the dealer there is about 15 other uits and they said electrical problems is the orm on high hour units.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2011, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Half of the problems you listed are not Gravely problems, but engine problems. Remember, Gravely does not make, and, they do not provide the warranty on the engines. These major engine problems are just that, ENGINE problems. They could happen to the engine no matter what brand machine the engine is mounted on. They are not the fault of Gravely.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

That never stopped anyone on here from bashing cub.............lol

Sorry, I thought they had the 3400's. Also, The price I saw on the web was 5400 not 3400 my bad. My buddies is a 48 not 54 he paid 5700 for his. For the difference in prices I listed. Which is what I was basing my opinion on. I would go Hustler. Sorry, good luck with your choice.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

So I test drove the Hustler FasTrak SD 54 and cut some thick 2 week growth on my property. I was very impressed with the handling, speed, and overall ride. The cut was okay, but my grass was really thick and deep. My dealer is giving me a price of $6,299 with the flex forks.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

mowingman that is the most BS cop out **** i have ever seen. fact is it was GRAVELY WHO PUT THAT PART ON THEIR UNIT. the wirring comes from place 1 the clutch place 2 the engine place 3 but THE UNIT GOES TO THE DEALER WHO SOLD IT TO ME .....GRAVELY.
they were all differernt engines so I guess you feel its a bash GRAVELY conspericey. Gravely makes only the frame that is it every part else is from some where else. See with all the trouble we are having we will continue using them. I wasnt bashing the units just letting him see what we seen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
commercial , cub cadet , purchase , ztr