Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mix differently when spot spraying?

I will be spot spraying this year and didn't know if the mix ratio would be different for post-emergents when you spot spray?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Read the labels of every product you use, they will tell you how to mix for spot-spraying.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHSCAPE View Post
Read the labels of every product you use, they will tell you how to mix for spot-spraying.
I did, it doesn't say anything about it. Only amount/1000sq ft.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Which herbicide?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trimec classic. I looked the label up on the internet as I don't have it on hand currently.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

The label states 0.75 to 1.5 fluid ounces in 0.5 to 6 gallons of water per 1000 square feet. It goes on to mention spot treatment is defined as a treatment area no greater than 1000 square feet per acre.

If it were me, I would go 1 ounce of product to 2 gallons of water for spot treatment.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHSCAPE View Post
The label states 0.75 to 1.5 fluid ounces in 0.5 to 6 gallons of water per 1000 square feet. It goes on to mention spot treatment is defined as a treatment area no greater than 1000 square feet per acre.

If it were me, I would go 1 ounce of product to 2 gallons of water for spot treatment.
I just finished reading that as well. Thanks for the help. I guess I was looking for "spot spraying" to hit me in the face.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Justwanna,
myself I prefer to add a gallon of water to the sprayer. Spray a concrete driveway wet and measure how much area 1 gallon covers in sqft. Then add herbicide according to the square feet covered per gallon. Write it on the sprayer in marker. I normally cover 2,000 to 3,000 sqft per gallon. (Use the same pressure and walking speed.)

For ease of measurement, then make a reverse fill chart. Suppose 1 ounce herbicide requires a half-gallon, 2 ounces a full gallon and 3 ounces 1.5 gallons. Use the chart; add herbicide; add water to match herbicide. Print fill chart using Excel spreadsheet. Cover with clear tape--but good luck keeping it dry.

Use same idea with a backpack sprayer.

Maybe I can test this plan again tomorrow before it snows. Let everyone know what sqft I get from my sprayers.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Justwanna,
myself I prefer to add a gallon of water to the sprayer. Spray a concrete driveway wet and measure how much area 1 gallon covers in sqft. Then add herbicide according to the square feet covered per gallon. Write it on the sprayer in marker. I normally cover 2,000 to 3,000 sqft per gallon. (Use the same pressure and walking speed.)

For ease of measurement, then make a reverse fill chart. Suppose 1 ounce herbicide requires a half-gallon, 2 ounces a full gallon and 3 ounces 1.5 gallons. Use the chart; add herbicide; add water to match herbicide. Print fill chart using Excel spreadsheet. Cover with clear tape--but good luck keeping it dry.

Use same idea with a backpack sprayer.

Maybe I can test this plan again tomorrow before it snows. Let everyone know what sqft I get from my sprayers.
Thanks Riggle, yeah if you do that let us know your results.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Justwanna,
I calibrated my Chapin hand sprayer this morning, by spraying 1 gal water to wet my driveway. I pumped it up 40 times. I covered 1560 sqft per gallon. Output was 30 ounces per minute.

It is necessary to add some water and spray it out first as this leaves about 3 ounces "void volume" which remains in the bottom that cannot be sprayed out. Only then add the gallon of water. Actually I used a quart and multiplied by 4. Saves time. I also sprayed into a measuring cup for 10 seconds and multiplied to find ounces per minute.

Suppose you are using Trimec at 1.5 ounces per 1000 sqft. Therefore 1500/1000 times 1.5 would equal 2.25 ounces per gallon.

However...the nozzle setting may affect the rate of flow. The pumps and pressure affect the flow. The walking speed affects the coverage.

You should not point the nozzle at the weed and press the trigger and count to two. You may burn a hole in the turf. Rather, sweep the nozzle across the weed, using the same speed as you covered the cement with water.