Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
More rain very early this AM and more this afternoon. 80% tomm and 50% on Friday. Was able to work through it today. I dont mind it one bit, all my yards are looking great!
Posted via Mobile Device
IMHO at some point you have to say to hell with it and cut in the rain. I know it is not ideal as the tearing of the blades of turf is much more likely, but that is why I change out daily...., more likely to rut that is for sure, but what the hell it is not a perfect world, if I waited until ideal conditions during rainy periods like this....hardly anyone could get cut.
Most customers are understanding at this point as they know it can not be avoided. I did end 2 properties early today as my feet were water logged and my red wings felt like the weighed 90lbs each.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
IMHO at some point you have to say to hell with it and cut in the rain. I know it is not ideal as the tearing of the blades of turf is much more likely, but that is why I change out daily...., more likely to rut that is for sure, but what the hell it is not a perfect world, if I waited until ideal conditions during rainy periods like this....hardly anyone could get cut.
Most customers are understanding at this point as they know it can not be avoided. I did end 2 properties early today as my feet were water logged and my red wings felt like the weighed 90lbs each.
Mike I have to disagree. Then again, I don't have as many accounts as you. But tearing up a persons yard is not something im willing to do. It was drizzling on and off today which is why I was able to cut, but I will NEVER cut if it is raining any more than a drizzle. With the size of tires and weight of mowers, it is easy to destroy a yard. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to mow in the rain this week. The 4th of July is coming and I dont want to be back logged. I really would like an early Friday. I dont see a problem with mowing in the rain. It has rained off and on all day.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing by 7am this morning and by 9am it started to drizzle. I said, "you gotta be kinding me"...I am still trying to catch up from monday and tuesday, but drizzle only lasted for a bit. I got somewhat caught up but by 6:30 pm, it started pouring again. wow! I cut bahia lawns today that was brown last week and green and tall this week...just unreal. I did alot of double cutting today. Summer time is here.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, vacation is over. Time to earn your keep. Up until this week I still had some I was doing at 10 days. And even a couple at 14 days. The damp St. Augustine has been really slowing me down the last three days, since I mulch everything. I love the 28 EFI engines. You can't beat the fuel usage. But for about three months I'd trade it for a 35 Vanguard.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Mike I have to disagree. Then again, I don't have as many accounts as you. But tearing up a persons yard is not something im willing to do. It was drizzling on and off today which is why I was able to cut, but I will NEVER cut if it is raining any more than a drizzle. With the size of tires and weight of mowers, it is easy to destroy a yard. Just my opinion though.
Other than the last six months it normally hardly rains here. But, leave tire tracks or wheel marks in someone's lawn and you will soon not be doing that lawn any more. Most soils here are red clay that stains everything. A tire track on the grass leaves a stain that is visible for weeks.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Unless you are getting a super premium for every lawn - in order to make any real money in this business - on weeks like this you have to cut. It has rained here everyday for the last 5 to 6 days and forecast has 50% to 60% each day for the next 8. I have been with my customers long enough that they know they may have a little slight rutting - but it is better than the alternative - which is their lawn not getting cut for two to three weeks while paying for it. I do not live in the perfect world and I have braced my customers for that, if they want their lawns cut under ideal conditions - then they either need to move to san deigo or their monthly fee needs to increase about 4 to 5 times of what it currently is so that I can make a respectable living. Most are understanding - those that are that unrealistic would be PITA's that I do not want to deal with. In the end - it is just grass.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yep, vacation is over. Time to earn your keep. Up until this week I still had some I was doing at 10 days. And even a couple at 14 days. The damp St. Augustine has been really slowing me down the last three days, since I mulch everything. I love the 28 EFI engines. You can't beat the fuel usage. But for about three months I'd trade it for a 35 Vanguard.
Yea my bahia yards with no irrigation were literally burnt during our drought and I was easily doing them at 14 days. No more though. Everything weekly now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

More rain yesterday around 6PM and today around 2:30. It is great, we really need it.....
Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
More rain yesterday around 6PM and today around 2:30. It is great, we really need it.....
ya, i got some rain last night, but not today. sorta happy cuz it gave me a chance to catch up.