Register free!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok someone turn off the facet. in east ft myers we've gotten 21" of rain in the last two weeks as of yesterday. got a few more inches today...someone better be building the ark....todays rain was more of the normal pattern for us it rained at 5:30 instead of all day...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Worked till 7:00 pm last night and still have two commercial and one residential to do today to finish the week and the radar is full and I can hear thunder. Not a good sign.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Worked till 7:00 pm last night and still have two commercial and one residential to do today to finish the week and the radar is full and I can hear thunder. Not a good sign.
Zturn

I am looking at the same Tampa Radar as you. AND I am hearing the same thunder and seeing the same lighting this morning. Talk about either TOO MUCH or NOT ENOUGH, man we have run the gauntlet this year.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

More last night and right now with more scheduled for today....I think we get a reprieve for Sunday and Monday and then it continues wednesday onward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody ever suggested crosscutting the lawns durin rainy season?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
Has anybody ever suggested crosscutting the lawns durin rainy season?
Buck Wheat - are your referring to changing direction of which you normally cut? If so I do that were applicable. Some lawns have areas which do not lend itself to changing directions.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Buck Wheat - are your referring to changing direction of which you normally cut? If so I do that were applicable. Some lawns have areas which do not lend itself to changing directions.
Mikey

I believe Buck Wheat is referring to Diagonal cutting like you see real professional doing on Baseball Fields and Golf greens. Not up down one week and right to left the next like you do.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Some lawns & sideyards just don' lend themselves to it; some do. But you are the first one to mention it so far.

It's not as though we've been dry forever and it has suddenly started to rain... I cut rain or shine, lighning & downpours we sit out... sharp blades are a must. The Shindaiwa BR802's are big help also
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Mikey

I believe Buck Wheat is referring to Diagonal cutting like you see real professional doing on Baseball Fields and Golf greens. Not up down one week and right to left the next like you do.
Yes, that is what I was referencing ric, as some lawns do not allow you much variation in angles in which they are mowed. Many times cutting in cross patterns is the simple most time effecient way to change your pattern or cutting crossways is the only solution. I have one such property and will try to remember to snap a photo next week on my route. If I do not cut crosswise the turf will show the wear pattern of the tires.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Some lawns & sideyards just don' lend themselves to it; some do. But you are the first one to mention it so far.

It's not as though we've been dry forever and it has suddenly started to rain... I cut rain or shine, lighning & downpours we sit out... sharp blades are a must. The Shindaiwa BR802's are big help also
I knew I was not the only one.....as there appears to be plenty of folks that do it when I look around.
If I was to wait for a ideal conditions to mow...I would not mow most of the year...too dry, to wet, shouldn't mow in the morning when due is still on the ground. I have a old shindi 630 that helps during this phases