Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2015, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Advise on reoccuring credit card payments

So this year a (great) client approached me to take their card and just charge their monthly rate for mowing/maint.

How do you guys set this up?
What/who do you use for swiping?
What/who/how for automatic payments?

Currently for CC processing I use paypal. I like their system. People know the Paypal name and many have accounts already. I can take payments with swiper, manual entry, online invoice or invoice from mobile.

I pay
per swipe 2.7%
online invoice 2.9% + .30 cents
manual entry 3.5% + .15 cents (anything over $2500 is held for like a week o more)

I can technically take a monthly payment with their card # by doing a manual entry transaction. But after a few entries I would be over the $2500 and money would be "held".

Only other option for paypal is to set up Virtual Terminal. Its a set $30/month and 3.1%
That sucks ^. All the invoicing, receipts BS, plus double bill for credit cards (to use paypal) and its a higher rate.
Paypal has a "subscription button" I can put on my webpage where the client goes to set up reoccurring payment that would need to be canceled at the end of season...but this option seems to be the most PITA.

At this point I am thinking hell no (especially with liability)...and I can just do a prepayment for half a season etc. Or....cash is king right? lol
Old 05-02-2015, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had success using the Square application. Can either swipe a card or manually enter the info. IIRC it's 4% off the top.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
I've had success using the Square application. Can either swipe a card or manually enter the info. IIRC it's 4% off the top.
Thought of square...I did a lot of research before going paypal (and highly recommend paypal). Several more expensive local processing business told me of horror stories about square. Things like funds being held for 30-90 days. Transactions problems. Overage charges. Square is owned by Visa (sister co or subsidiary) and essentially they set up square via some loop hole and are not following certain rules and regulation regarding cc processing that everybody else has to follow...I forget the details as it was explained to me about 3 years ago now. Bacially VISA is the biggest and do what they want. That was their word...

Personally I know of about 4 to 5 people that use square and had problems with it. The big thing is square sells client purchase/selling info. It tracks what you buy, when, how much and uses it for advertising purposes. Google it. I will never go square because of that "back door" privacy breech. I refuse to use my cards with any merchant that uses square.

Also...try to call square and let me know how it goes. I just spent 25 min on the phone w paypal.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

No kidding? Yeah I will definitely look into that. It is attractive because of the lack of monthly fees but obviously that point could be moot if there are official letters coming with my name on em.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Before signing up and ordering the little swiper you may want to first download the "app" to see if it's compatible with your phone because it's not with mine.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Before signing up and ordering the little swiper you may want to first download the "app" to see if it's compatible with your phone because it's not with mine.
Yeah I checked compatibility before. Ive had the swiper for about 2 years now. I hate the fees but like the convenience. But thats good advise.

We were just talking about it, I think I'll have to add to my contracts that any CCs payments over $500 or $1000k MUST be swiped in person. I dont want that money tied up and held. And $1000 at 2.7% sucks. $1000 at 3.5% plus .30 c sucks more. And its all the same card, same banks, just different method of taking $$$
Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i always thought all that crap was just dumb. take a percent here a percent there yadda yadda yadda.

my customers pay me in cash or write a check.

i've never been asked if i take a credit card. they can mail you a check cheaper than paying an extra 2.7, 2.9, 3.5, or 4%.

it just never made sense to me. why would anyone want to pay more than they have to? i know if i was a customer i wouldn't want to pay extra fees on anything.

it just seems like too much of a hassle to waste my time with it so i've never even considered it.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been using Square for years and I have had zero problems. My customers requested the ability to pay by CC and I have accommodated them. The cost is minor considering the funds are in my account by 12:00 AM the next business day. I believe with a card present the fee is 2.5%, 2.7% without. No additional charges, improved customer service since I first started using this service. I have researched other companies offering similar services and decided Square was able to meet my needs. All other companies were riddled with additional fees and holding requirements that left less funds in my account and more in theirs.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PayPal sucks. When try lock your account for a complaint you'll understand why they suck.

As for merchant services, how dare they make money off of you. I mean it's only a secure transaction portal. Why should they take a percentage of the transaction? Your bank charges ATM fees, same deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i always thought all that crap was just dumb. take a percent here a percent there yadda yadda yadda.

my customers pay me in cash or write a check.

i've never been asked if i take a credit card. they can mail you a check cheaper than paying an extra 2.7, 2.9, 3.5, or 4%.

it just never made sense to me. why would anyone want to pay more than they have to? i know if i was a customer i wouldn't want to pay extra fees on anything.

it just seems like too much of a hassle to waste my time with it so i've never even considered it.
Well, you do live in Alabama. You're a little behind the times. A little too laid back.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds