Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass build up on Exmark deck

I have a 2008 48" Exmark Quest that I use for smaller jobs that my 72" John Deere will not do. I bought it this spring and it seems like a decent mower other than the fact that grass builds up on the underside of the deck. It builds up so much that it won't cut very well and doesn't discharge grass from the left blade and not much from the center. I have two John Deere mowers and I clean under the Deere decks periodically but seldom have a performance or cut quality issue from it. One of the Deeres has a 7 iron deck, the other is an older 48" rider. I clean under the Exmark 3 times as often, get more junk out from under the deck, and have a lot of cut quality issues from the build up. I have new, sharp Exmark hi vac blades on it, and has great blade speed but if I am cutting near or after dark (or anything less than completely dry grass) the deck will clog up and be useless in 2 hours or less. The deck is rusty on the bottom but otherwise is in good shape. I have been cutting grass for 10 years, generally in poor conditions, but have never had an issue with any of my other mowers. It here anything to paint the underside of the deck with to help? Or any other good ideas? It is a nice little mower that will have a new home next year if I can't get this figured out soon.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Painting the deck may help with your issue. The rust might be hindering the flow of air and grass through the deck.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 10-02-2014, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am also interested in tips, or a product that works really well for preventing sticking. When I mow wet grass it can be a nightmare. I have had to scrape the deck 3 times on a 4000 square foot lawn before.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
I am also interested in tips, or a product that works really well for preventing sticking. When I mow wet grass it can be a nightmare. I have had to scrape the deck 3 times on a 4000 square foot lawn before.
Have you seen the mower deck spray at like home depot and lowes? Pam cooking spray works well also
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 10-03-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Cut back on the throttle some when grass is wet, this sometimes helps a little. Also the higher you cut the less buildup you should get. Maybe lower lift blades would be better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pop a wheelie, once you have the front up in the air slam it back down, blam all the grass is on the ground and if you did it right your front tires still have air in them.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Sponsor

Metalmaker02,

Depending on the conditions, we should be able to help with the deck packing. Here’s a few things to look at:

1. Deck Rake: Proper deck rake keeps the blades cutting only on their forward swing, and it allows air to come into the deck to help discharge. If we have no or negative rake, we’re not going to get any air, and grass cut at the ‘back’ of the deck has nowhere to go. On a 48”, typical rake is around 1/8” (means front-center blade tip is 1/8” lower than the rear outside blade tips). However if we’re in overgrown, wet or have certain weeds (clover, crabgrass) we may need to increase it to as much as ľ”…anything beyond that and you’re likely going to see a wave in the cut because the front-center blade is cutting too much lower than the sides.
2. Engine RPM/Blade Tip Speed: All of our decks run very close to the ANSI max standard of 19K feet-per-min (including your consumer Quest), it’s what typically gives us the unrivaled quality of cut that we enjoy in good green grass, where as many other mfgrs (I think including your commercial green unit). When we get away from those conditions, we may need to do some adjustments. One thing you can do, which has already been suggested is cutting back the engine rpm, which reduces the blade tip speed. Try to cut back about 300 or so rpm…when you do so, keep your groundspeed up though. It seems counterintuitive, but the best way I can describe it is; grass in forces grass out.
3. Blades: If you’re in wet conditions, high overgrowth or battling those weeds I mentioned before, going to a low lift blade will help reduce packing (and hp required). Keep in mind however, this may likely also affect the discharge.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
Lenny
Exmark Customer Service
Old 10-03-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! I will try reducing the throttle some. I can go back to conventional blades if I have to. I went with the hi-vacs to improve the discharge. We mow a lot of juicy heavy clover with a few weeds mixed in for good measure, thought the hi-vacs would help with that. Not a great situation, but the other mowers are handling it. That said, the deck on my Exmark (which I bought used) is rusty and somewhat pitted. I will check the deck rake as well. I have seen ads for some graphite based products, "Clean deck" and "Mower guard". Does anyone have any experience with them? I like the mower overall but need to solve the discharge and build up issues if I am going to keep it.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaker02 View Post
I have a 2008 48" Exmark Quest that I use for smaller jobs that my 72" John Deere will not do. I bought it this spring and it seems like a decent mower other than the fact that grass builds up on the underside of the deck. It builds up so much that it won't cut very well and doesn't discharge grass from the left blade and not much from the center. I have two John Deere mowers and I clean under the Deere decks periodically but seldom have a performance or cut quality issue from it. One of the Deeres has a 7 iron deck, the other is an older 48" rider. I clean under the Exmark 3 times as often, get more junk out from under the deck, and have a lot of cut quality issues from the build up. I have new, sharp Exmark hi vac blades on it, and has great blade speed but if I am cutting near or after dark (or anything less than completely dry grass) the deck will clog up and be useless in 2 hours or less. The deck is rusty on the bottom but otherwise is in good shape. I have been cutting grass for 10 years, generally in poor conditions, but have never had an issue with any of my other mowers. It here anything to paint the underside of the deck with to help? Or any other good ideas? It is a nice little mower that will have a new home next year if I can't get this figured out soon.
In my experience the exmarks have to be constantly cleaned out under the deck. The deck design causes that but the striping and dry grass cutting is second to none.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
In my experience the exmarks have to be constantly cleaned out under the deck. The deck design causes that but the striping and dry grass cutting is second to none.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is my experience as well. There are a few mods you can do to the deck to help but not sure about your model mower.
Posted via Mobile Device