Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand how it changes the cutting height. Notice the dip in the blade where it mounts, this blade goes on the bottom of the factory blade to create more vacuum.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx14 View Post

I don't understand how it changes the cutting height. Notice the dip in the blade where it mounts, this blade goes on the bottom of the factory blade to create more vacuum.
A lot of guys simply run two oem blades together crisscrossed (a high lift and a mulcher above it, or something similar) that are flat, without the interlocking section that the one in your pic has. They simply tighten the center bolt down on top of both blades together which holds them just like they were running only one.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

That's a Dixie Chopper X blade and that goes on top of the lower blade. Both blades cut at the same height..

Last edited by Richard Martin; 08-29-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I understand how it works, and that it lowers the height by the thickness of the blades you use, but anyone who is paying attention to what they are doing should see that and adjust their HOC stop accordingly so that the HOC corresponds with the lower blade tips at the front of the deck.
Yes, you would have to raise HOC setting up one notch to compensate. But you still have to be cautious around curbs/sidewalks as you blades' cut plane is lowered by 1/4" and it is much easier to hit things this way.

On the DC, you removed the spindle spacer and everything was fine.

Quote:

You are still putting a 1/4" piece of steel between the spindle mounting surface and your lowest blade.

Yes they'll cut at the same plane (blades sharpened surfaces will still cut at exactly the same height), but they will be 1/4" lower in the deck shell.

Quote:
A lot of guys simply run two oem blades together crisscrossed (a high lift and a mulcher above it, or something similar) that are flat, without the interlocking section that the one in your pic has. They simply tighten the center bolt down on top of both blades together which holds them just like they were running only one.
Yes, that's how it's done.

OEM's frown upon it because of safety.

It is hard on electric PTO clutches.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I finally had a chance to take a few pics today of the G6, OEM std lift, and OEM high lift side by side. I also took one or two showing the length of the mulching edge on the G6 compared to the OEM blades.

First, and end view of al three blades L-R OEM std lift, OEM high lift, and the G6

Viewed from above to compare widths. The OEM std blade is 5/16" thick X 2.5" wide. The OEM high lift is .250" thick X 3" wide, and the G6 is .250" thick X 3" wide as well.

OEM high lift blade from front showing the curve that my blades have , that many others don't, as well as a view of the lift sail-

The G6 from the front showing again, the lift sail/fingers, and the curved edge that is sharpened and runs almost to the spindle bolt-

Finally a shot showing the OEM high lift sail next to the G6 lift sail/fingers. Both measure 1.25" tall-
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What mower/deck is this for?

What is the washer/spacer for and is it included and why?
Perma-green Magnum
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
What mower/deck is this for?

What is the washer/spacer for and is it included and why?
All that was in my review, but I don't mind repeating it here as well.
The blades are from my Z720A w/60" 7 Iron II deck. Also, as mentioned in my review, the plastic tape says "must use to avoid damage to machine" or something like that, so I used it. I can see no reason for it though on my mower, so I hope that Dennis (Oregons rep here on this site, but I can't recall his forum name offhand) will see these posts and respond on it. I'd like to know as well.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
All that was in my review, but I don't mind repeating it here as well.
The blades are from my Z720A w/60" 7 Iron II deck. Also, as mentioned in my review, the plastic tape says "must use to avoid damage to machine" or something like that, so I used it. I can see no reason for it though on my mower, so I hope that Dennis (Oregons rep here on this site, but I can't recall his forum name offhand) will see these posts and respond on it. I'd like to know as well.
The spacer is to compensate for the difference in thickness between the JD blade (.312") and our blade (.250"). It makes the cutting height match and also makes sure the blade bolt does not bottom out allowing the blade to loosen during use. Sorry I have been traveling and got a little behind getting answers back
Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No problem. I am glad that you had a chance to respond, and if you read my review up above, I thought that was most lkely the reason for it, but wasn't sure. On top of that, the OEM high lifts are the same dimensions as yours (width and thickness) , but don't come with any such spacer. I have never had the OEM high lifts come loose either. Still, I'm one of those guys that reads all his manuals and the info that comes with equipment, so I followed the tag's instructions to be sure I mounted them correctly.

BTW- At the risk off soundling like a suck up here, I am liking these G6 blades pretty well so far. If I didn't, I'd have darn sure have said that too, and anyone who knows me, knows that to be true. The only thing I think I'd like to see changed is to have the outer tab on the sail be as tall as the tips of the fingers.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Ridin' Green.

I got so many threads active, I don't always remember who's running what deck/mower.

(Hint...signature lines are great for this!) lol
Perma-green Magnum
Solo since 1980