Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

OK. So, I'm continuing this thread from last fall. I have read through these posts and a few others on the G6's. I appreciate the advice and experiences of the previous posters from around the U.S.

To note, most of the experiences were used with a 4-5ft mower deck. Any one use them with a 6ft deck? I'm guessing they would be similar performance, but the individual blades are a few inches longer ( ~25" ) and so would be increased noise (?), perhaps not if the tip speed is the same as smaller decks.

Currently have a JD 72" 7-iron deck (Green) and picked up an older, but with very low hrs, front mower also with a 72" deck (yellow). The 2nd unit is also being used as a light-duty bush-hog -- Emphasis on light-duty part. Reclaiming some unused pastures before they become overgrown. Been doing quite a bit the last few weeks with all the mild weather here.

Looking to change to the G-6 on the 7-iron deck.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon OEP View Post
Just wanted to let you all know that I am still here watching all of your feed back on our blades. I really appreciate it and it helps us make changes to give you an even better product. I try not to post unless someone has a question or something comes up I need to clarify. ....
Hey, thanks for the previous info!

As noted in previous post, was going to change over soon to G6 blades in a 72" JD 7-iron. From what I found, that part number is -- 393-746. Is that correct?

Also, wanted to know what a recommended blade for an older 72" deck (yellow). Don't know off hand the model # is. Current use is secondary lawns, orchard, and reclaiming pastures. Want a Strong blade, as careful as I am I have hit 1 ground rod and 1 cobble stone, both of which shut off the deck and only the rock left a tiny chip in the blade. Current blade is JD AM-something ... A strong blade to be sure, doesn't really chop up tall grass that well, but is quick to discharge it and spread evenly (part deck). Cuts well in wet conditions but builds up in deck (I blame deck here). Anyway, for this usage, I am a little leery of a mulch blade with ribbed fan if it were to contact a rock (sandstone, bluestone, some shale)... but with new tech in manufacturing, perhaps they may be the ones to get.

{If it matters, I tend to cut lawns med-short; secondary lawns slightly longer; all others 5-6". Tall grass and briars, I find 2 passes -- 1 forward then backward works best as it 'fluffs' up the turf better then just turning around. This, of course, is easier to do in a mid-compact or front mower than a zt... plus when it's windy I can control discharge so that I'm not clogging screens or wearing it }

Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
Sorry it's taken so long to re-post but I've been busy around the house with painting but here are a couple shots showing where I took 1/4 " each side off to lighten the G6 to be used with my machine that's handy capped with 12.5 Hp. It was for me the right course of action as the blade was lightened a considerable amount reducing vibrations and reduced the strained placed on the engine. When I get the new G5's , I'll be doing the exact mod to lighten blade mass.
Can you please replace these on Photobucket or repost these pics? There are probably people that would want to see these.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ExploreTech View Post
OK. So, I'm continuing this thread from last fall. I have read through these posts and a few others on the G6's. I appreciate the advice and experiences of the previous posters from around the U.S.

To note, most of the experiences were used with a 4-5ft mower deck. Any one use them with a 6ft deck? I'm guessing they would be similar performance, but the individual blades are a few inches longer ( ~25" ) and so would be increased noise (?), perhaps not if the tip speed is the same as smaller decks.

Currently have a JD 72" 7-iron deck (Green) and picked up an older, but with very low hrs, front mower also with a 72" deck (yellow). The 2nd unit is also being used as a light-duty bush-hog -- Emphasis on light-duty part. Reclaiming some unused pastures before they become overgrown. Been doing quite a bit the last few weeks with all the mild weather here.

Looking to change to the G-6 on the 7-iron deck.
Deere has diferent blades of the same length for different versions of the 7 Iron decks, and/or decks of the same WOC, but different styles of decks like the old yellow tunnel decks vs the 7 Iron decks.

From what I can see on the Oregon site, your 7 Iron takes part number 396-743, and your older style yellow deck should take part number 396-775. Both numbers are for the G6 blades.

I have Deere CUT with a 60' MMM (green & non 7 Iron), and it takes a different blade than my Z950 7 Iron Pro deck. The main difference is the blades for the Z Trak decks are usually an arched style blade, meaning they are arched up in the center where the spindle bolt goes, while the blades for the 7 Iron and std decks for their CUT's and at least the old yellow tunnel decks are flat style blades.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just ordered two sets for my 52" Scag for $12.49 per blade + $8.00 shipping from

Stonewell Trading Company <Orders@stonewelltradingcompany.com>

I have used other Gators in the past and am hoping this will lift a bit better.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
I just ordered two sets for my 52" Scag for $12.49 per blade + $8.00 shipping from

Stonewell Trading Company <Orders@stonewelltradingcompany.com>

I have used other Gators in the past and am hoping this will lift a bit better.
There's no comparison between other Gators and the G6's.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am very curious how these would work on our gravely mowers. The problem is I am not spending $68 for one set of blades to find out they suck azz and are not much better than the standard gators were. I just bought TWO sets of high lift blades for our 60" for $59 shipped. So you can see why I am having a hard time biting the bullet on ONE set for $68.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Can you please replace these on Photobucket or repost these pics? There are probably people that would want to see these.
Richard I have no idea what happen to those shots but I'll check into it.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
There's no comparison between other Gators and the G6's.
Can't compare what I have not received yet!! Thread topic was not to compare but just was anyone using new G-6
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I am very curious how these would work on our gravely mowers. The problem is I am not spending $68 for one set of blades to find out they suck azz and are not much better than the standard gators were.
Why are the G6 blades so expensive. Are they not a standard 20.5" blade with a 5/8" center hole? I use those on my Dixie and they're nowhere nearly that expensive.

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany.c...product=207190