Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I don't know if it'd be in your manual or not. It isn't in mine that I can fine. I know what my OEM part numbers are though, so I look them up by that. The easiest way to know is to take one of your current blades off of your mower and measure the center hole. A tape works fine, but if you're not sure, use a dial caliper or something. If you use the tape, just make sure to burn an inch or two before measuring, meaning don't use the hook at the end of the tape itself. There's usually too much play in it, so just use one of the inch marks and measure the widest point of your center hole. Don't mean to sound insulting like you don't know how to use a tape. Just trying to be clear.

Some of the G5's are out already, but I haven't seen any listed on their site anywhere yet, and Dennis (OregonOEP here on LS) who is the factory rep, told me in a PM last spring they'd be out mainly this fall.
Okay will do exactly that, haha your not insulting at all you are just telling me what is best to do which I appreciate. Ill make sure to do that so I can get them as fast as possible. Ohh alright either way i'm sure i will be happy with the G6's thanks for all the help.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I can help with anything else, just shoot me a PM, and I'll answer it as soon as I see it.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

G6 blades don't disperse clippings well for 60" Exmark Series 6 Ultracut deck?

After reading all the glowing reviews for the G6 blades, I bought a set a while back to try. With the standard Exmark blades (p/n 103-6403), if I didn't mow twice a week, I didn't like the look of the amount of clippings left on top of the grass. I was hoping that the G6 would allow me to mow only once a week without having to double cut. Unless I need to make some other adjustment to my deck (Exmark Ultracut 60 Series 6), the G6 (p/n 1036403) are worse than the stock blades as far as dispersing clippings. My grass is tall fescue, and I've been cutting at 4.5" due to the high heat this summer. The actual cut is great, and there is no clumping under the deck, but the clippings are dispersed (or not) into clumps about 1 row over. Sorry for the ignorance, but this wasn't what I was expecting. The grass was mowed when dry, and I tried with the chute defector both raised and lowered ... and the results were the same. Attached are some pics from my phone, if that helps to identify the issue. Or perhaps, the G6 blades just don't work that well for my deck and grass type.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry if any of us may have mislead you at all. It definately wasn't intentional.

That grass looks nice and lush, and the UC deck has a small discharge opening. Maybe the G6's are beating the clippings into a moist clump too much with that combo.

Maybe you could try removing the baffle bolted in at the rear of the discharge chute to see if that helps.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Can anyone list the G6 part number for a 52" Scag Tiger Cat?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer88 View Post
Can anyone list the G6 part number for a 52" Scag Tiger Cat?
According to Oregon's site you need 396-726 - G6 52" Scag
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sorry if any of us may have mislead you at all. It definately wasn't intentional.
I certainly didn't intend to imply that anyone mislead me ... not placing any blame. Just thought with all the positive comments that I must be overlooking something (e.g. yes, I made sure they not installed upside down). I was hoping somebody else with the same deck might have a quick answer ... maybe removing the baffle is the key, I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozwad View Post
I certainly didn't intend to imply that anyone mislead me ... not placing any blame. Just thought with all the positive comments that I must be overlooking something (e.g. yes, I made sure they not installed upside down). I was hoping somebody else with the same deck might have a quick answer ... maybe removing the baffle is the key, I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the reply.
If you do try it without the baffle, I know I'd appreciate it (and probably so would many other guys) if you would come back to this thread and post the results either way. It's the best way I know to learn as much about all the different mowers out there that I can think of.

I hope you can get it sorted out to your satisfaction.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If I can help with anything else, just shoot me a PM, and I'll answer it as soon as I see it.
Will do haha wait i don't even know how to PM. Ok and now to find the blades on the oregon website do i just enter in the parts #?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go to this site, then go the box at the left where it gives you 3 ways to look up your blades. I normally look them up by manu, but you can do it easily if you know your blade part #. Just remember that sometimes you have to pay attention to how things are set up in the search by manufacturer section, meaning you may not see a blade of the correct length that says it's specifically for your mower in your manu's section (assuming you're looking at the correct length blades for your manu to begin with), but there may be one or more that are lumped into the same section with one that is stated specifically for your machine. That's common when looking up the G6's BTW, so check out the length, the center hole, and the thickness dimensions of yours, then use them to cross reference blades on the site listed for your brand of machine-

http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/produ...des/blades.htm

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 08-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.