Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Gemini, at least on some models, mulching kits replace the blades with high-lift ones, and close or restrict the outflow (so each grass blade gets hit more than once inside the deck). Alternatives are re-mowing where you see the outflow, or mowing more often.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminibuddy View Post
i have a KUBOTA ZD 326.. I took the mulching kit off due to it getting knocked against a rock/root and one of the blades was rubbing against the metal. I have run it with both the high lift and the regular blades and it was a mess covering me up with dust out the side discharge where before with the mulching kit it did not have much discharge. Anyway, a prior question was related to using a gator mulching blade with a mulching kit. Suggestion? IF I put the mulching kit back on will it perform well with the mulching blades? Also- no dealer located near me. Easiest way to purchase? THANKS!

The results using Gator Mulcher® blades with the mulching kit seems to vary depending on the machine and cutting conditions. Most report better performance without it. I do not have any feed back from Kubota users that have tried it with the kit installed. There are many online sources for Oregon® blades; several listed on Lawnsite.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminibuddy View Post
i have a KUBOTA ZD 326.. I took the mulching kit off due to it getting knocked against a rock/root and one of the blades was rubbing against the metal. I have run it with both the high lift and the regular blades and it was a mess covering me up with dust out the side discharge where before with the mulching kit it did not have much discharge. Anyway, a prior question was related to using a gator mulching blade with a mulching kit. Suggestion? IF I put the mulching kit back on will it perform well with the mulching blades? Also- no dealer located near me. Easiest way to purchase? THANKS!
Gator blades are not mulching blades. If you want to mulch, use a hammer to bang your mulch kit straight and use the wavy looking mulch blade.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a set of the G6 blades yesterday and cut 4 lawns w/ them. They are TERRIBLY noisy (at least on my Exmark). I had to take them off before I (and my customers) went deaf! And I wear quality earmuffs.

I'm sticking w/ the Gator 3 in 1 blade.

48" Exmark Turf Tracer w/ Proslide XT -- for sale in Spring!
Tanaka 600 Edger
2 Tanaka 230 Trimmer
Makita 4 stroke equipment
Gravely 100 ProTurn 48"
Toro 48" T-bar w/ Proslide will be on the trailer in Spring 2012!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
www.stonewelltrading.com has great prices and will ship them out quick.
They may or may not be quick shipping, but Mowpart has them $2.60 cheaper per blade!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Received my G6 blades today,put'em on,made 10 laps and what I observed is this, blades are extremely heavy and noisy, which sapped the life out of my 12.5 Kawasaki ,along with a big drop in RPMs,even with some slight adjustments to the governor to raise the RPMs a bit,the motor was really struggling trying to swing those heavy blades.The WB vibrated the whole time during my short demo,not good. I will say the G6 blades really sliced and diced the grass clippings in comparison to the Hi Lifts I was using ,along with increased frontal blow out though.
I'll be re-sharpening the hi lifts to be re-installed and just use the G6s for fall clean-ups. I tried them and wasn't won over by them.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon OEP View Post
The results using Gator Mulcher® blades with the mulching kit seems to vary depending on the machine and cutting conditions. Most report better performance without it. I do not have any feed back from Kubota users that have tried it with the kit installed. There are many online sources for Oregon® blades; several listed on Lawnsite.
It is nice to see the replies from everyone- but especially seeing the reply from "the source". Thanks to everyone for the courtesy of their inputs.

ZD326
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Have a power chute on my ferris and with it open have little to no blow out but as soon as i close it it blows out al over. Looks like a dust clound around the mower. Only really notice it with the g6 blades
Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Richard Martin,

Are you mulching or discharging the bahia? Whoever brought that grass here should be shot if they aren't already dead.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM86 View Post
Richard Martin,

Are you mulching or discharging the bahia? Whoever brought that grass here should be shot if they aren't already dead.
I wouldn't even attempt to mulch Bahia. And I've never seen anybody do it.

I don't mind Bahia, it's leaves a decent stripe. You just have to learn how to cut it. The higher your customers will let you cut it, the better. When it's growing really good I'm cutting at about 3-1/4".