Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bamboo

Does anybody have a product that will kill bamboo quickly and for good? It has all been cut down to 3 inch shutes?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Zak,
Without seeing where this site is located and what other possible threats are around the sprouts, I cannot advise using anything but glyphosate and repeated applications.
I will tell you that bamboo is one of the most troublesome plants to remove once allowed to become a curtain or hedgerow. The roots must be dug out.........I mean all of them! The depth depends on the soil types also. I have seen where a Bobcat loader was rented to remove the upper 12 inches of a lawn area to remove all the rootlets. These tuber roots are like Privet, Hedera helix, Nandina domestica, spirea, and many more vigorous plants that survive off of its rootlets.
I wish I could be more specific, but without a picture of the location, you may not get the basic answer you seek.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump to the top... anyone????

http://www.bamboo-inspiration.com/ho...ll-bamboo.html
Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cut it low and mow the area. The roots will gradually die out if the green tops cannot send food reserves to the roots.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you will have to dig it out. There is no way to 100% kill it with any available chemicals.
Get a backhoe and dig down about 3' deep to get ALL the root structure.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Cut it low and mow the area. The roots will gradually die out if the green tops cannot send food reserves to the roots.
Riggle

What these kids don't seem to understand is common sense. While I agree digging out all the Rhizomes (if you could) MIGHT solve the problem, the expense is enormous. You offer a more pragmatic approach which would be the same way I would approach the problem.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No, digging is the only solution. The roots will never die out. Just keeping it cut low will make it look better, but it will never do a 100% kill on the roots.
Some of us "kids" really do know what we are talking about. Oh, it is flattering for someone to call me a "kid", as I am 61 years old.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Riggle and Ric,
However problematic this thread is.......cutting the bamboo down and mowing over the shoots is a solution. Did any of you think to remind the viewers of these potential tire destroying techniques. I for one don't run never flat tires on all equipment. The old adage of pay now or pay later will be in full force here. I would hope that the owner of the home doesn't have to push mow these areas. If you plan on running good dollar equipment over these stobs...........I pity you unless you are making a killing on this account.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the expense of removing several inches of topsoil to get all the rhizomes.....if possible. Homeowners purchase this Asian weed in hopes of creating a curtain but all that happens is a widening curtain of--" I can't get rid of it!" The truth of the matter is--shame on the ignorance and hindsight of buying this stuff and planting it in the wrong site. I have seen a forest of Asian Bamboo...................it was almost Majestic. Planted in the wrong setting is up most disaster.
Enough rambling..............I will say don't plant it unless you are willing to pay for the aftermath.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Riggle and Ric,
However problematic this thread is.......cutting the bamboo down and mowing over the shoots is a solution. Did any of you think to remind the viewers of these potential tire destroying techniques. I for one don't run never flat tires on all equipment. The old adage of pay now or pay later will be in full force here. I would hope that the owner of the home doesn't have to push mow these areas. If you plan on running good dollar equipment over these stobs...........I pity you unless you are making a killing on this account.
Think Green

Been there, Done that, have the Tee Shirt and never had a flat tire. I am sure Riggle can say the same.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.