Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aced76 View Post
We just retrofitted an existing system to accept a new tap from city using reclaimed water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
What size was the original water meter?
Quote:
That's why I was curious about the original meter size. It sounds to me like the system was designed on a larger meter and the city dropped the meter size down.

I wondered the same thing too. Was this on a private monster well pump? Inch and a half valves pre-existing?

How did all those heads work properly BEFORE?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in a similar situation. Guy calls me, says his head pressure is horrible and would like me to take a look. Go to his monster house, start turning on zones and see has in some cases 14 rotors on a zone and on other zones he has 20 sprays, etc. I did a gpm test at meter to find he has nowhere near enough gallons and told him his problem. He said it worked fine "before". I said "before what" and he elaborated at that point that it used to draw from a lake way back behind the woodline.

Long story short, I was fortunate enough that most spray zones were 180 degree 15 foot radial sprays hitting long narrow strips of turf. Ultimately I just put mp2000's in with prs heads and dialed down the radius a bit. The mps had no problem at only 16 gpm. I wouldn't recommend it for common practice, but it worked fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

For those paying attention

Ok, Thanks for the input. The city put in a new tap after we had remodeled system for reclaimed water. We had to disconnect from the building water which had a one inch tap supply. The city put in a 3/4 tap, then a meter. We had to connect to this smaller tap.
So we are stuck. We did NOT design existing system but it ran ok before the tap size went down to 3/4 from 1 inch.
This is what I heard. Based on the amount of landscape in the proposed area the city installs a tap on their original approved site plan from years ago.
They thought 3/4 would suffice. I guess from my point of view is maybe before tap is installed they should have a conversation with the contractor on needs of service, ie; head count and size per zone for correct flow and psi?
Next time I will make sure and forward info ahead of time so we dont have this issue again.
I do understand I can run MP's and precision nozzles based on this flow though, it just costs the owner a good deal of money that could of been avoided.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see a location for you but at least in Dallas area you could pay to have a new tap and meter run. even if it costs 800.00 it might be worth it for the customer to avoid hydraulic nightmares.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Had a similar situation on a new install.
2" meter, system designed for 65gpm through backflow regulated to 55 psi.
Worked great for less than a week, G.C. calls me and says "It ain't spraying to good".
End up speaking with the city ******os who say they removed the 2" tap, replaced it with a 3/4" and kept everything else the same. Ended up with maybe 38 gpm at 55 psi.
Had to go in and split the sections by adding one additional valve at each duplex (apartment install of sixteen duplexes) and capping the looped lateral.
Cost me eight extra days plus parts and the G.C. refused to pay saying the city was at fault - city refused saying they had the "right" to alter water availability. All the while I'm out an even nine grand waiting on money.
City finally came back in and restored the 2" meter saying they "didn't have to pay" but I finally got my money. And no more jobs in that city either . . .
Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanx FimCo

Ya maybe, but I cut my price as it were and they can pay for that. The owners own a franchise of buildings nationally. I will also enhance the rotors possibly with rain curtain nozzles. I even thought of eliminating pop ups where we were getting boo-ku coverage as it is on a slope. Looks like MPs and precisions coming their way soon.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=aced76;4080827]We just retrofitted an existing system to accept a new tap from city using reclaimed water. City put in 3/4" tap. We installed a one inch backflow and PRV.

I don't know anything about city supplied reclaimed water mains but why would you need a backflow device on water that is not safe to drink anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's a requirement of the Department of Redundancy Department
Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1" prv and 1" dcv for 46 gpm?
Even if you could eek out 46 gpm from the tap the pressure loss through the 1" prv at 46 gpm would be tremendous.
In fact that flow wasn't even listed on the pressure fall off chart that I looked at.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
. even if it costs 800.00
I would kill for a tap fee that low. Try 12k here.