Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting out, undecided on mowers

Just made my first step this past weekend and traded my car in for a truck. My next step this week is a mower, trimmer, and blower.. Little bit of a budget but wondering how Craftsman are. I thought I remembered seeing someone comment on another members post about having a craftsman and want to make sure I get a decent mower that experienced lawn service's have knowledge about.

I would like to get a toro, but so far nothing on craigslist around my area looks worth the purchase. So wondering if craftsman would be a good option for a mower. For trimmer I'm heading towards Stihl.

Thank You
Old 05-23-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You do know that most Craftsman mowers are made by MTD? Same company that make everything for Lowes and Home Depot.
If you are going to do this for a living you should buy commercial equipment. Toro,Exmark,Scag,Ferris,Hustler,Gravely. Stihl does make great hand held equipment.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd say that a used hydraulic walk behind such as an exmark turf tracer 36" would be a much better choice....exmark or scag IMO.

"Perfect Is Good Enough."

Lifted 7.3 Powerstroke, Exmark, Stihl, Echo, John Deere 110 Backhoe(was just stolen from us, southern states keep your eyes peeled).
Old 05-23-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need to take another look at your business plan if you're considering starting a lawn service with a Craftsman or even a Toro lawn tractor. As already mentioned, you're better off with a commercial walk behind to start off with.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand that starting the business off with smaller mower isn't the best idea. But this summer I'm working on introducing myself into the business with a couple lawns here and there and do some landscaping. I have a full-time job 10:30-7 sun-thurs that pays good money, so I'm taking the opportunity to save for better equipment next year instead of skimping out on a low end zero-spin and/or walk behind which was my goal for next year.

But this season I want a couple of accounts in the mean-time to establish myself somewhat even a little before I dive all the way in. I was asking about craftsman because they seem to be common enough and wanted maybe a 21"or 22" to start off with to do a lawn in the mornings and a couple over the weekends if I can get the accounts, but for all I know it could be too late for that.

But after much debate with myself today, I believe I can attain a walk-behind for this season. And I agree, I should buy commercial equipment, but don't small business's also usually own some kind of smaller mower? Just wanted to know if Craftsman would be acceptable to purchase for one and if not, why?

But I do know I need to listen to the pro's and that's what I intend to do. So thank you all for your feedback.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to burst your bubble, but find another line of work. People in the field love to talk about how much money they make, and it's all cash blablabla. But take a look at these guys, are they wearing decent clothes, new work boots, freshly washed truck, tires with tread left, nice house? Chances are, they're full of crap.

The reality is that the minorities/ethnics are willing to do a $200 mowing job for $65. They can make $300 a week and get by because they are willing to live 6 people to a 1 bedroom apartment. There's no way Americans can compete with that.

Sadly, no one cares that you have nicer equipment, have liability insurance, or can edge a straight line with a weedeater. Goddamn people just don't care anymore...They want it done as cheaply as possible. Vote for someone who's anti-immigration and get into lawn mowing when the economy improves...
Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Not looking for career advice.. was looking for opinions on a certain brand of mower.. I'm sorry if business is not great for you out there, but I have every intention of getting into this line of work. And if I wanted to make ton's of cash, this isn't the profession I would aim for. Thank you for your advice but I believe this thread is straying away from my simple question of why a craftsman is not a good choice.

After all, I'm not spending all this time, research, and money to get discouraged from a post. I'll take it as a be cautious of what you are getting into. So thanks again.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Then my advice would be to buy a used commercial unit. If your budget is $500-1000, I'd buy a used 36 inch Gravely belt driven walk behind. If your budget is higher, say around $4-6k, then buy a used Kubota 326. There was a guy selling 5 of them in San Antonio for $4500 each with 1900 hours. Those diesels will last 3000+ hours with proper maintenance...

Do NOT make the mistake of buying new homeowner grade equipment. The decks are flimsy and will dent when you hit a curb/stump going 4mph, the frames will flex too much over uneven terrain. There is nothing worse than fighting your own equipment all day when you're depending on it to make money...

Hope that helps, and good luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

honestly go with the crafstman. Thats what i did. If youre just doing a couple off yards it should be fine. Just make sure you service it very very wel. I my self started out with a crafstman 42 inch rider and it held out fine. Its still running actually. Friend of mine uses it now. Iknow a lot of the other wont agree with me. But i would say go for the crafstman and work your way up.
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if you are gonna start with a 21" mower get a honda at home depot.