Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2002, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

texas irrigation liscence

I think u should have to get an Irrigation liscense regardless of the state u live in. I just completed my 40 hour coarse last weekend and learned 100x more than these fly by night acts ever will. I wish Texas would start cracking down on these non official irrigators. Fine the crap out of them and force them to take the test or lose there business(well I guess thats a little extreme). The north east is pretty wet so thats the reason no liscense is needed. Texans just trying to help our state out for the future by requiring a liscense for conservation purposes. Those of u who haven't taken it, sacrifice 2 weekends and take it it is well worth it. I am scheduled to take the San Antonio test Dec 13 and yes its an 8 hour test. Starting next year they won't be doing the design portion, but rumor has it that the test gets harder after that so get it done know.

Jody

PS all of u texas fly by night acts, keep going, I will be making tons of your repairs that need to be done.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Member

small world

Jody,

I sent you an e-mail. I am about 99% sure we were in the class together. If all goes well I will be in San Antonio on Dec 13th also. Good luck! Drop me a line if you want to.

Kevin
Old 10-22-2002, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I finished a class in Houston yesterday. Hope to see you both in San Antonio on Dec. 8
Old 10-30-2002, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have obtained my Tx Irrigators license, and yes the test is eight hours long. The reason the test is being redesigned is currently, the passing rate is approximately 40% of first time attendees. The Tx Irrigation Assoc has lobbied for a 'easier' test and that is why the State has agreed to a redesign.
As far as your comment about irrigation licenses not needed in the north east - are you referring to the NE US or Tx state?
If it is the NE US, pay better attention to the weather as the NE has suffered record drought and temperatures for the last several years.
As far as licenses not needed, that is not true. However, most of the states in the NE are commonwealth's. This means a service provider is expected to adhere to industry standards and if not the state can step in to enforce work being done to protect the private consumer.
This all being said, good luck on your test.
Oh, and one more thing, in the state of Tx, fines have increased to a minimum amount of $2,500 per offense, and will be compounded per multiple offenses. This means every error brought to the Irrigation Advisory Committee by a complaintant, and supported by the IAC investigation, Tx state mandates a fine structure for each violation found.