Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

What is going on with my lawn?

I am in Miami and have lived in this home for just about a year. I have a few large damage spots on my lawn and am not sure what to do. At first I thought I may have over fertilized with some Scott's but I am not sure anymore. I have heavily watered over the last few weeks but have not seen any improvement besides a couple of green weeds in these dead patches. Can anyone tell me what is going on and suggest an appropriate course of action? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to hazard a guess at chinch bugs.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dont know. dont see any yellowing at the edges.. hard to see the edges. get some other pics close to were the grass is green still...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
dont know. dont see any yellowing at the edges.. hard to see the edges. get some other pics close to were the grass is green still...
Karl

I believe the close up was taken in the shade. Therefore All I can see is Black. No way I can see the problem from these pictures.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the help!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is this Palmetto St. Augustine?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I honestly have no idea.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Les

I was just in your City over Fathers Day. A great place to visit but you may keep the Traffic.

Sorry but I am not sure what your problem is. I see folded leaves that tells me it isn't get nutrients to the Leaf blade, mainly water. If the Grass is in fact more Blue in color than Black then that might tell me it is a drought issue. How ever it could be a fungus also. Grub Season isn't here so it shouldn't be grubs but then we are still not sure of the life cycle of the Sugar Cane Grub. I am trying to think of every thing that will cause roots to not uptake nutrients.

What is the History of treatment on your Lawn. What Chemicals like Insecticide and Fungicide have been applied and WHEN. What amount and Blend of Fertilizer and HOW WHEN AND WHERE was it applied?? Looking at picture is not like touching smelling and feeling the turf.

In Edit

A second Look at the Picture. Is That Brown instead of black?? BTW I am color blind but not to Black and brown.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 07-03-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The traffic can be awful but if you live/work strategically it is not bad at all. I am always headed in the opposite direction of the heavy traffic.

Here is a pic of the only thing I have used to treat the lawn. I applied it twice, once about 5 months ago and then again 8 weeks ago because of an issue with dollar weed. I applied it using a hand spreader.

The lawn looks burnt to me and is brown.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Les

I don't think it is chinch bugs or grubs. I am thinking it might be Drought Stress but would need to know when is started going bad and if rain or irrigation is a factor in order to make a decision. But I am never going to be actuate from a Picture.

Scott Fertilizer I stay away from because I have a college education and many years in both Agriculture and Horticulture . Scotts Fertilizer IMHO is a rip off. If I am correct Bounds S has a very high first number and very low second and third numbers in the Blend. That ratio is the Cheap mix with the High priced Ink on the bag. Nitrogen which is the first number is what cause top growth and a visible response. It also causes Fungus which might be your problem and is the Cheapest Element of the 17 elements of Fertilizer. Granular Urea Nitrogen is literally sucked out of the Air we breath which is 78% nitrogen.