Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2011, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am just guessing here as is everyone else. I really think it appears to be drought stress or insect related. I am leaning against it being over fertilizing just based off of the photos because the turf does not appear that it is really dark green for a SA variety but maybe it is just the photo. Also if it was just a case of a little fert being over applied in those areas I would think the areas which have not declined, well the areas right outside of the declined areas would be super dark and thicker because of the excess nutrient super charging it. Another sign I would assume would be there would be GLS on the leaf blades because over fert, over water and our environment usually lends itself to GLS from my experiences.

Les a couple of questions - 1. are you familiar in scouting for chinch bugs and if you are have you looked in the green areas right outside of the declined areas for them? 2. I know it is obvious but have you check your irrigation system to ensure it is operating properly and heads are not clogged/or rotating properly to give good coverage.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont really know how to look for chinch bugs but I am thinking I should just treat for them anyway. The good grass simply appears to be gone- I don't see how anything else could take it so fast. Would it hurt to treat for chinch bugs even if they turn out not to be the problem? Anyone have a recc on a decent product?

I am also thinking it might be to have a pro come by. Anyone decent in South Miami/Coral Gables, FL that anyone knows of?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Misapplication..... The instructions for Bonus say:

Do not apply to lawns or mixed lawns of bahiagrass, bermudagrass, bluegrass, fine fescue, bentgrass, tall fescue or dichondra.

Given your area, you may have had patches of Bahia or Bermudahrass that you have now killed off. Do you know what you had?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Of course not! But that application was probably 8-12 weeks ago. Does that make sense?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
Of course not! But that application was probably 8-12 weeks ago. Does that make sense?
Posted via Mobile Device
Possibly, for a selective herbicide, which tend to work slowly when there is not much growth. Note also, u said first signs were several weeks ago, not today. But I would also try to rule out insects, and fungus first. I know that is not much help....
Old 07-09-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Several weeks ago on the first spot. This new spot was fine last week. Something got it quick and it has been watered very well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
Several weeks ago on the first spot. This new spot was fine last week. Something got it quick and it has been watered very well. Posted via Mobile Device
The damage is too complete and sudden (in presentation) for almost anything but roundup or an herbicide IMO. But who knows? It really doesn't matter now, because you are through for this year on the existing turf. What I would do is give it a good scrape and low mow, and overseed now with perennial rye. At least you will have a lawn starting in 5 days. But you will need to keep it LIGHTLY misted the next 2 weeks. In the fall, plug in the warm season grass of your choice, or just resod the whole lawn.

Last edited by maynardGkeynes; 07-09-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
The damage is too complete and sudden (in presentation) for almost anything but roundup or an herbicide IMO. But who knows? It really doesn't matter now, because you are through for this year on the existing turf. What I would do is give it a good scrape and low mow, and overseed now with perennial rye. At least you will have a lawn starting in 5 days. But you will need to keep it LIGHTLY misted the next 2 weeks. In the fall, plug in the warm season grass of your choice, or just resod the whole lawn.
He's in Miami. Exactly how is he finished for this season? Worst case scanario is resod the area. Bugs and Fungus can run that rampant through turf down here. I think fungus will be worse this year with the increased rain we have had the past few days.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that yard that shady all of the time ?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Is that yard that shady all of the time ?
No, there are a few spots that are mostly in the shade but where the issues are there is several hours of direct sunlight every day. I run my sprinkler system twice a week for 2hrs and then another 3-5 hrs on the weekend using the hose and a basic sprinkler in this area.

Is it possible that is not enough water?
Posted via Mobile Device