Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My point being that if this guy was to take the majority of the advice given on this thread so far he would of sprayed a fungicide, a pesticide, in some advice two applications of pesticide which both would not have mattered to a resistant cinch bug. We have a guy thinking that brown patch is the only fungus that can take out turf apparently, people thinking that since there is green turf present that it could simply not be a irrigation problem when it very well could be, either too much moisture or not enough.
Simple fact is that the guy need to seek the advice of the county extension agent if he is a do it himselfer or call a reputable L and O company, most likely he will not only pay less in either case, he will also get quicker results than listening to us babble on here hundreds of miles away.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
My point being that if this guy was to take the majority of the advice given on this thread so far he would of sprayed a fungicide, a pesticide, in some advice two applications of pesticide which both would not have mattered to a resistant cinch bug. We have a guy thinking that brown patch is the only fungus that can take out turf apparently, people thinking that since there is green turf present that it could simply not be a irrigation problem when it very well could be, either too much moisture or not enough.
Simple fact is that the guy need to seek the advice of the county extension agent if he is a do it himselfer or call a reputable L and O company, most likely he will not only pay less in either case, he will also get quicker results than listening to us babble on here hundreds of miles away.
In a sense I agree, on the other hand....poor irrigation is overwhelmingly the cause of dead grass in summer. Either it dies of thirst or they get fungus from too much. Yes, the extension agent is great. but if most people just watered and fertilized properly the extension agents would be out of a job a long time ago. Not to offend anybody, but most landscapers are only slightly less clueless than the average homeowner when it comes to diagnosing lawn disease/problem.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
poor irrigation is overwhelmingly the cause of dead grass in summer. Either it dies of thirst or they get fungus from too much.
Or is dry and stressed and attract insect. Either way the OP will only know how to address the problem if he knows what is causing it. Even a simple answer like many of us have given of irrigation can be taken in a different view from a home owners. Ever tell one of your clients that there lawn was dry in the early spring, they listen to you and turn it up, and a month later their lawn is buried in dollar weed and sedge, and look at you like you are crazy for suggestion they dial back the irrigation now? Same issue here, OP does not know how to scout for cinch bugs, but yet some are telling him to use insecticides so we do not even know if it is the issue. Others like myself have mentioned irrigation, but what does that mean to most HO's, turn it up, and this case very well maybe a fungal issue brought on by over watering. To many variables for any of us to say for certain what it is off a few pictures...we are all just guessing.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Gentlemen please...they are CHINCH bugs not Cinch bugs. Know of what thy speak. IMO, the best chinch bug monitoring tool is a vacuum. It will pull out #'s and stages from 1st instars through adults. Helps in life cycle stage monitoring and treatment threshold level determinations.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
if most people just watered and fertilized properly the extension agents would be out of a job a long time ago.
Fertilize properly maybe. But I'm not mother nature, and I'm pretty sure you're not, so where will the diagnosticians be when you get 6 inches of rainfall in four days and nothing but overcast skies? Or 30 days with no rain and watering restrictions?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy26 View Post
Fertilize properly maybe. But I'm not mother nature, and I'm pretty sure you're not, so where will the diagnosticians be when you get 6 inches of rainfall in four days and nothing but overcast skies? Or 30 days with no rain and watering restrictions?
I'm not dissing the extension guys, they are great, plus the soil tests are critical. People should use them. All I meant was that most of the problems I see is the homeowner has not done even the basic things right, like water right and fert properly. it's like they don't ever change the oil in their car, and then wonder why the engine goes bad.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is hard to fertilize a lawn in Florida for optimum health. The granola eaters have totally interfered with that. Enacting bans and restrictions that totally ignore what the grass needs. I love the environment, do not get me wrong. However, there will be fireworks when a granola eater tells me I cannot fertilize a lawn with what it needs, when it needs it, therefore causing all manner of problems with weed invasions, and pest/disease outbreaks.

I never understood the concept of a pre mixed, one size fits all weed and feed. Especially not the formula that Scotts sells for use on centipede and st augustine. For one thing, if I were contemplating an application of atrazine or simazine to a lawn, that lawn would have adequate levels of non urea nitrogen and potassium a month before. Scotts is all urea. Secondly, atrazine is not a good idea in really high heat or flooding rains. Especially not flooding rains. It will wash right through that sand and end up in the water supplies. I will not apply atrazine or simazine to an area that will be subjected to flooding rains. Only to turf areas that receive no more than 1.5" of water per week. Not 1.5" of water per hour for the next 24 hours.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
It is hard to fertilize a lawn in Florida for optimum health. The granola eaters have totally interfered with that. Enacting bans and restrictions that totally ignore what the grass needs. I love the environment, do not get me wrong. However, there will be fireworks when a granola eater tells me I cannot fertilize a lawn with what it needs, when it needs it, therefore causing all manner of problems with weed invasions, and pest/disease outbreaks.

I never understood the concept of a pre mixed, one size fits all weed and feed. Especially not the formula that Scotts sells for use on centipede and st augustine. For one thing, if I were contemplating an application of atrazine or simazine to a lawn, that lawn would have adequate levels of non urea nitrogen and potassium a month before. Scotts is all urea. Secondly, atrazine is not a good idea in really high heat or flooding rains. Especially not flooding rains. It will wash right through that sand and end up in the water supplies. I will not apply atrazine or simazine to an area that will be subjected to flooding rains. Only to turf areas that receive no more than 1.5" of water per week. Not 1.5" of water per hour for the next 24 hours.
I know that urea gets no love on this board, but the university extension studies do not mention the source of nitro as a factor. What they do mention is the release rate, and Scotts TurfBuilder is pretty good on that score. I don't own stock in Scotts or anything, but for DIY homeowners, they could do a lot worse than following the Scotts 4 step protocol. I am referring of course to the retail products, not the squirt and fert franchises.