Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
I found them to be much worse on Hills than the Turf Tiger or New Lazer. Only going up a hill were they better. This excludes the ZK version which was about equal to the two ZTR's mentioned. Just my opinion after running for a few weeks. Nice machines other than that for small lots.
I dont really do much with hills here, theres one spot on 1 lawn that is on a hill and I have to turn on it (I'll have to get a pic its hard to explain) and it gets a little hairy but I think any mower in that spot would be tough. A couple other properties I service have some small berms on them and it seems to do fine. Just gotta shift your body weight a little bit but it sure is better than the hydro WB with the sulky on it thats for sure!

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we have one of those models and many more before it. do they still have the bolt in front baffle? if so, we took ours off due to clogging decks, so much i could not mow even one lawn. it has always been that way, they took the same deck, and made a baffle in it. too closed off for cool season grasses in spring for sure.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
we have one of those models and many more before it. do they still have the bolt in front baffle? if so, we took ours off due to clogging decks, so much i could not mow even one lawn. it has always been that way, they took the same deck, and made a baffle in it. too closed off for cool season grasses in spring for sure.
Yeah it has a baffle there, I didnt know it just bolted on? was there any negative effects to taking it off? I might do that because I did have some clogging issues in thick wet grass.

My Pictures:
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hit 250 hours on the Stander this week, so I figure now would be a good time to update my review:

I am still extremely happy with this mower. I went back and read my original review, and looking at my initial complaints about a few things, most of them have been resolved one way or another:

PREVIOUS ISSUES
-The cut quality with leaving "mowhawks" and clumping really bad in thick wt grass is still somewhat of a problem, but I found that using a set of the G3 Gator blades instead of the regular high-lifts pretty much takes care of both of those issues. I really don't notice much of a difference in the striping or the suction power of the mower between the 2 sets of blades, but I do notice that that the Gators chop the grass up finer leaving a much better appearance when discharging the clippings. The high lifts MIGHT pack the bagger a little better, but nothing that I can say is drastically noticeable.

-The issue with the the gas tank sucking in due to a bad evap purge valve was fixed as mentioned above, and has not been an issue since

-The issue with the backfiring when shitting off at low throttle has still not been resolved. I got in writing from the dealer to shut it off at full or half throttle, and thats what I've been doing.

-I believe I mentioned somewhere about the controls being rather "sticky." I know others on this forum have complained about this as well. Since this was my first Stander, I didn't really know what they were talking about until last summer when we purchased another stander, this one an OLDER one. After using that, I understand what people meant about the newer ones being "sticky" but also after using the older one the pros of the many new features on the newer one vastly outweigh the sticky controls. Over time, I guess they have loosened up a little bit, but again, this doesnt really bother me much.

NEW ISSUES
-About a month ago, I noticed that when the gas tank was full, gas would leak out of the cap when the mower was moving and the gas in the tank was sloshing around. The old cap was an automotive style non-vented one (thats what the evap system is for, right?) where you couldnt over tighten it because it would "click" when it was tight. The dealer replaced it with a more traditional vented cap. Whether this makes the whole evap system redundant or not, I don't know but I also don't really care because my tank doesnt leak anymore.

-At 250 hours, this thing needs a new set of rear tires. Horribly, in fact, they are EXTREMELY bald! I've never owned a zero-turn style mower before this one, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I feel like I should be getting more life out of a set of tires though, I'm not really happy about this one.

PROS
You can't argue with the size of the mower. Put this up against any other stand-on mower and its the smallest one out there. Takes up less room on the trailer and makes it far more maneuverable on tight properties. The speed is also excellent. The machine is balanced very well, it does not rut up lawns at all. I can take the mower over soft ground and not even realize its soft until I got back on foot to trim and my boot leaves a huge divot in the ground. I think the mower does a pretty good job of striping too. Theres a lot of guys around here that have Walkers and Scags and although I can tell right away lawns that were done with a Walker, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Wright can hold its own in the striping game. Yes, there may be a little more effort involved in getting it to stripe that good, but its there.

CONS
I hear good things about this new Aero-Core deck they have, and I wish I could have waited another year to buy one with that deck. The deck is the biggest downfall of the mower. It just doesn't do a good job of cutting tall thick grass and MOVING it OUT of the deck. It's not the worst, but its also not the best. It traps a lot of grass under the deck, and it seems to build up on the baffles and build up between the blades so it makes it even more difficult to get the grass out of the deck. I guess you could consider the so-called "sticky" controls a con, because sometimes that little bit of stick will result in a bad zero turn and leave a divot in the lawn but I try to do more of a 3-point turn if possible. The only other complaint I have, and this isn't even really Wright's problem, is the fuel usage. Holy hell does this thing go through gas!

OVERALL
At the end of the day, I really can't say anything bad about the Wright. It does everything I want in a mower for the most part. Like I said, my biggest complaint is the deck. I was VERY skeptical at first about paying $8,400 for a mower, but now that I've had it for almost 2 full seasons, theres no way I could ever do the amount of work that I do without this thing. It's been a great machine so far, and I would recommend Wright to anyone thats looking at a stand-on mower. It truly is "the Wright way to mow"

My Pictures:
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I totally agree with the deck. It is the only downfall, but not a deal breaker. Wright needs to put that aero core on all size decks. I have 400 hours on mine with plenty of tread left in the tires....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive found the Scag V-Rides so much better than the Wrights in terms of comfort and cut quality. My 52" V-ride with the Hurricane mulch kit is the best machine Ive ever had!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I totally agree with the deck. It is the only downfall, but not a deal breaker. Wright needs to put that aero core on all size decks. I have 400 hours on mine with plenty of tread left in the tires....
Posted via Mobile Device
really?? mine are down to the wear bars! I have heard that people get crappy tire life if you spend a lot of time driving on paved surfaces because it eats up at the soft tire compound. But all mine does is go on and off the trailer and right to the lawn....I'm gonna have to check in with the dealer and see what they say people are getting out of a set.

My Pictures:
Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
really?? mine are down to the wear bars! I have heard that people get crappy tire life if you spend a lot of time driving on paved surfaces because it eats up at the soft tire compound. But all mine does is go on and off the trailer and right to the lawn....I'm gonna have to check in with the dealer and see what they say people are getting out of a set.
Yea mine aren't even close to that point...Lmk what you find out...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing i wanted to say after reading this was the initial decision on which mower to buy, the wright or gravely...gravely's old pro stance sucks balls, plain and simple, so no comparison there...not to get it confused with their new one, that one looks awesome...i used to hate the wright's because all of the cheap asses around Kansas City had them, and it was always the cheapest wrights they could find, always really rough looking...these are also the companies that underbid me, so, you can see why i hated wright...within the last year i've looked at a few, have really liked what they have come out with in the last couple of years with their newer more comfortable platforms, better decks, faster hydros, floating decks, etc...our next mowers were between wright and toro, but it looks like now that wright is manufacturing for JD we will prob go that route since we have a great JD dealer in town and the other two are out of town...now i will say this, i haven't tried a v ride, but the toro's and wrights are very similar, especially on hillside stability, i couldn't tell which one was better...as of right now, i like the toro platform and controls better, but that might be because i'm used to the toro, i like the bail out option better than the wright...it also makes the toro longer tho, so it's give and take
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would talk to Wright and see if they have an improved baffle design for your mower. I have a 52" Wright with the old deck, and I modified the baffle to make it flow better. Here's the thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=361984

I also have a 52" with the new deck and it will cut thick grass better then the old deck, but it also has more HP. Both decks will still pack Crabgrass under there, but they dont clog up and start spitting chunks out like the old deck did before the mods. If its all grass with no crabgrass or weeds then there both fine. The bottom line is that I improved the old deck quite a bit, but its still still not quite as good as the aero core deck.

As far as tires mine have very little wear after 200 hrs. on the newer mower.
Wright Sentar Sport 52/19
Custom built bagging system
Lesco 36/13 WB
Billygoat 18hp truckloader
Bluebird plugger
Lesco split drive plugger
Lesco stainless steel spreader
Stihl BR600
Echo PB-620
assortment of chainsaws,weedeaters,hedge trimmers,sprayers and such