Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
plain old PGP heads are fine

Yeah,I guess I will be using the standard ones.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can do better for the same or less money.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

pgp adj are just fine. Doesn't seem like most of you guys have issues with FUBARED mist heads or Rotors. I wind up replacing two or three every wet check I do (BTW I install to grade) but the LCO's run em over, weed whackers trim the heads off. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me to install a gold standard when the functional lifespan of the unit is relatively short.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Callbacks figure into what I install. DIY folks don't have that worry.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me to install a gold standard when the functional lifespan of the unit is relatively short.
And for those of us in northern climes, who realy wants to do $70 start ups for 5 yrs?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have PGP issues, but I don't install in very sandy soil.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Callbacks figure into what I install. DIY folks don't have that worry.
I understand that. I do not warranty the product to the client regardless of the manufacturers warranty. There are too many variables down here, that's why I get hired by HOA's, management companies and homeowners to do wet checks monthly.

I estimate that over a year, in a medium sized development say with 15 zones, 250 rotors (I think I'm low on the rotors) and 350 mist heads I will wind up swapping out about 20% of the rotors, 10 % of the mist heads and replace screens and nozzles on another 15% in a year. Not to mention repairing pipe and other peoples work. (I'll see about a new post on the hall of hackers, you'll love it, it involves a 3" sewer T & a cinder block)

I don't get call backs usually, I GO back because so much gets messed up in a month from the LCO's, Utilities, residents, you name it. I can charge the client a fair $15.00 for a PGP ADJ installed on a wet check and not rape him. It's been a great dirty water head for me and has a lifespan about as much as a Rainbird @ 2x the price.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Regular homes don't merit checkups, if the system was quality work to begin with, and those that aren't can be upgraded to being reliable, or maybe just cut loose.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe not in Metro NY... It's a different beast down here.

Systems run 365 days per year. Starting from the late 50's even up until now workmanship was based on the assumption that the owner would be out within 3 years, which was usually the case - I believe it's closer to 5 now. Unscrupulous contractors, builders, etc put all kinds of crap in the ground understanding that after they got the money it wasn't their problem.

Since Irrigation Repair and Maintenance wasn't really considered a profession because the big boys were too busy doing installations for the building industry (until now) hacks, pikers and HO's did it them selves. No water restrictions so if it's dry? Throw a little more water down Bernie. No problem.

Water is no longer cheap and plentiful, losers from up North come down like the Oakies from the depression looking to cut grass or do irrigation and none of them have an F-ing clue about hydrodynamics, distribution, precipitation rates, static, dynamic pressure, lift, head (well maybe a little about head) you name it.

Home owners make up 40% of my maintenance business on their 1/2 to 5 acre lots. They don't want to necessarily upgrade because they know they are leaving soon, so I show up and cash a check. What's the problem.

I've never encountered an irrigation system, even newly installed by pro's, (I don't do installations, I sub them out... too many problems) that didn't have some sort of an issue within a year... NONE. It's money in the bank for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
I've never encountered an irrigation system, even newly installed by pro's, (I don't do installations, I sub them out... too many problems) that didn't have some sort of an issue within a year... NONE.
Come on up north, junior, we've got about a hundred of our installs that need normal service, period. Obviously, there are no "pros" in your area.