Register free!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the sandy Florida soil works against reliability, as it provides poor support for heads. Vehicle traffic doesn't help, either.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Correct.

I have to go something else other than stare at this screen.... adios.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been having alot of problems with pgps. My warranty is for 3 years. I have replaced 6 out of 20 on one particular system. Every other week it seems I have to deal with a warranty issue. Heads just get stripped out somehow. I am about to the point of just using I-20s from now on. And try to upsell I-20 stainless on high end jobs.

And I absolutely gave up on PGVs. Those sobs will seap. I quit buying them because it seems 10% would fail. I accidently bought some for a small 6 zone job earlier in the year, and I have already replaced two of them. And there was absolutely no trash in the valve, and they just seap!! I don't understand.

I have 6" I-20 stainless on my shop lawn and I have not replaced ONE in 5 years. And I know for a fact, that two of them get run over by semi trucks coming in and out of the shop twice a week. I just cannot believe they have not failed yet.

So if your listening Hunter... your heads sucks(except for I20 and mps), your clocks suck, and your valves suck. And I don't give a damn about my hunter points. However, I would love to continue to sell your product if you will reimburse me for my all of my unpaid warranty service calls!!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't guarantee a PGP for 3 years
Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I wouldn't guarantee a PGP for 3 years
I don't blame you. They should be called Hunter POS instead of PGP
Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They have a decent track record, overall. I can't recall the last one I had fail under my own guarantee of two years.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't guarantee them at all, I only guarantee proper installation. I always return broken stuff back to the HOA or HO and let them worry about it. They usually throw them away and pay my bill. It's a MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY not mine. If somebody insists, I'll throw in a free one and charge them labor unless I know we fouled up the installation.

juststarting... I don't have too much trouble with heads getting stripped - unless its in a traffic area, below grade and sucks dirt. I expect the rotor out of traffic areas to last indefinitely, and there are some that I personally am aware of that have lasted at least 5 years or more. Overall, they have been great dirty water heads for me, not too pricey and relatively durable for the conditions down here.

But the quality of the newer PGP = K-Rain commercial (shudder). K-Rain has a better selection of nozzles and is $2.00 cheaper. I agree with you about Hunter valves, they do suck and their clocks are not as friendly as Rainbird. They make a SMT system; a buddy installed one at one of my sites, 82 zones, 5 clocks and one "radar" unit to manage them all... it turns out to be semi-litterate; glad I don't get the call backs . He told them go Rainbird but they were pinching pennies. I understand the Rainbird SMT has some complex programming issues as well.

I think all this crap is being manufactured in China and to make it cheaper, they took out the nylon gears and replaced them with cheap plastic. All this stuff will soon become just another commodity item like computer components. A Dell has the same crap in it as an E-machine... just a different brand and price.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
I don't guarantee them at all, I only guarantee proper installation. I always return broken stuff back to the HOA or HO and let them worry about it. They usually throw them away and pay my bill. It's a MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY not mine. If somebody insists, I'll throw in a free one and charge them labor unless I know we fouled up the installation.

juststarting... I don't have too much trouble with heads getting stripped - unless its in a traffic area, below grade and sucks dirt. I expect the rotor out of traffic areas to last indefinitely, and there are some that I personally am aware of that have lasted at least 5 years or more. Overall, they have been great dirty water heads for me, not too pricey and relatively durable for the conditions down here.

But the quality of the newer PGP = K-Rain commercial (shudder). K-Rain has a better selection of nozzles and is $2.00 cheaper. I agree with you about Hunter valves, they do suck and their clocks are not as friendly as Rainbird. They make a SMT system; a buddy installed one at one of my sites, 82 zones, 5 clocks and one "radar" unit to manage them all... it turns out to be semi-litterate; glad I don't get the call backs . He told them go Rainbird but they were pinching pennies. I understand the Rainbird SMT has some complex programming issues as well.

I think all this crap is being manufactured in China and to make it cheaper, they took out the nylon gears and replaced them with cheap plastic. All this stuff will soon become just another commodity item like computer components. A Dell has the same crap in it as an E-machine... just a different brand and price.
Where are you buying k-rains? They are only 60 cents cheaper here. Then again not sure where in fla the melon patch is. If your close to murder town ( riviera beach) then maybe.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Where are you buying k-rains? They are only 60 cents cheaper here. Then again not sure where in fla the melon patch is. If your close to murder town ( riviera beach) then maybe.
I pay about $9.00 for a Hunter (4") @ formerly Boynton Pump (Kilpatric) off Gateway & Corporate Drive; I pay about $7.00 for the K-Rain @ Mellrose on the corner of Hypoluxo and Dixie.

BTW Melrose has a better inventory on the escoteric stuff than Boynton. BP has gone to the Walmart Module. I ordered a 2" Irritrol valve... took them 2 weeks to get delivery. I already bought it at Melrose two days later.

Riviera Beach? Hope you got your conceiled weapons permit. I don't know of anybody up there that irrigates until you get East of the intercoastal.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, I pay $6.50 for a pgp and $6 for a k-rain.
Do they at least have the decency to give ya a band aid for ya azz?