Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2002, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will get one soon enough, but the thing I have to remember is that while I may have potential to bill out at 70 per hour or so, i have to be good....will need time to practice with it.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The foot controls felt weird,
If you don't want foot control, Bobcat offers hand bucket controls as an option.
And case are that way standard. Those are the only two I'm familear with.

Quote:
i couldn't believe how easy they tip!
Takes some getting used to Doesn't it?

Some say there are more stable brands than the Bobcat.
(New Holand comes to mind) I've I'd also look at one of the tracked units (ASV?) less compaction.

Have you considered one of the small stand on skid steers that can fit through gates ? or do you need the capacity of a bigger unit? JUst some ideas.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: AZTLAN, go with the CAT great machine you'll love it, i had the same dilemma 2 years ago and now that i have the access to it i use it more than i ever thought i would. i bought the 226 as well, soon after 3 of my friends bought the 226 and all love it. hope this helps, tony
Old 11-12-2002, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I am with PAPS. I'd rent one until I could totally justify buying one. You have to keep in mind that you need to be able to generate profit equal to MORE than the payment EVERY MONTH OF THE YEAR in order to justify such an expense. You don't want to own one just to pay for it. You want to own one because it pays for itself AND generates a huge profit.

I'd never go out and buy a big piece of machinery just to practice with it. Using that philosophy will get you in a heap of debt quick! I've seen it happen over and over throughout the years.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't just look at the current cost savings. That is a factor, for sure. But don't forget about the POTENTIAL of future work as well. A bobcat, or any other brand, will open up jobs for you that you will not be able to bid competetively without one.

As for which one? They're all good compared to my friend, Manuel Labor. But going with the closest dealer wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as he isn't ripping you off on the purchase. But quick parts availability is good to keep in mind.

Don't worry about the awkwardness. A few hours and you'll get the feel for it. I was scared to death when I first got in one. It's really a piece of cake, though.

My opinion? Get a skidloader...any skidloader.

A landscaper wthout a skidloader is like a dentist without a drill.

Get one. Period. You can rent the hundreds of attachments as needed, but buy the basic machine with a bucket and forks.

You'll be glad you did, and the work will be there.

Dan