Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2002, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tractor deals

Well everyweek I buy these trader magazines as can be seen on Traderonline.com and they always have tractor ads for mahindra,new holland & massey fergusan(sp?) they have deals where you can get a tractor with 28+hp engine plus a front end loader, trailer, box scrape and a few more tools all for 200 bucks a month wich they spread the payments out to around 72 months...my question is for doing landscaping what size tractor would i need for pushing around sand,dirt,gravel and hauling plants in the bucket. Are these good deals and has anyone done this type of deal before ? What tractors have you had luck with
Old 12-21-2002, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i look at those traders every tues when the new ones come out. i work with a guy who bought a yanmar package deal for about 5'000,i think it's about 25hp.he said he loves it. he's not a landscaper though.

i want one for the same reasons you do and i believe a man needs atleast 25hp.live clutch,2spd pto and preferably 4W D.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Massey Fergeson branded tractor, model 1233. I purchased the tractor, front end loader, box blade, 60" shredder and pipe trailer as a package deal.
The smaller (under 35 pto hp) tractors are typically japanese, chinese or korean. The one I have is japanese - Iseki.
I had two upgrades to my package, one was dual rear remote hydraulics so I can run my T-5 power box rake. The second was a Bushhog upgrade from the AgriFive shredder. I should have gotten a Gannon box blade as well instead of the Howse box blade that came in the deal.
I would stay away from Iseki until the pto problems I encountered with my tractor gets re-engineered. My difficulty had nothing to do with the dealer, it was AGCO (Massey Fergeson). I actually had to call the US Operations President and still my problems haven't been addressed.
I have no experience with newer, compact tractors.
For actual work, landscaping, yard installs, etc. 28 pto hp like what I have is perfect. I can grade or drive right next to a foundation with out compaction issues, the same with subgrade or finish grade work as well. The only real weakness to the smaller tractors are reach on the bucket - you will not be able to fully load even a 4cyd dump truck with out a ramp) and the loader picks up @1/2 ton - that's it.
I would purchase a package like this again - just not M-F.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So your saying if it is a compact tractor its most likely not a true massey or other brand its some foreign crap with the popular name thown on it ? Why is this is this for price reasons? is that how they make it a good deal?
Old 12-22-2002, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been told by a dealer all new holland, massey, and J.D under 30hp have Jap. engines. everyone seems to love the yanmar in the J.D. I dont know about the others.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a 4310 J.D. which is a 32 h.p. I love this tractor, very well built.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yanmar VS Name Brand

I have been using and selling Yanmar and other grey market tractors and construction equipment for the last five years. I have had great luck with the quality of these tractors. I would love to discuss the pros and cons if anyone would like to listen. I would be glad to refer you to someone closer to you if I am too far away to take a personal look at some of them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how much hp do you have to get to get 3cyl.?i heard the 3cyl. are awhole lot better in the yanmar than the 2.??:blob3:
Old 01-03-2003, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Horsepower / 2 + 3 cyl.

You can get 3 cyl. Yanmars from 17 engine hp to ?? 40 is the largest I have seen but they are not available very often. The one pictured is a 22hp 3cyl. The 2 cyl actually have more torque. They are available in 15 to 30+ hp. They are older. They are available with very low hours and in very good shape. Most people just don't like the noise they make. The smaller ones don't have a water pump and can get hot if worked very hard in very hot temps. If you have any more questions fire away.

Here is a later model 3 cyl. 26hp
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2003, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had rented a Kubota im guessing B series I cant exactly remember it was a 3 cylinder around 24hp it had a front end loader it was a brut I loved it. And it wsa 4X4 I would love to find one that is more affordable. Wether its yanmar or not what kind of prices would I be looking at for these yanmar tractors? I will be mostly using it in the fall for pulling a large aerator, moving mulch, moving soil & gravel, grading new landscape projects, bushogging, splitting firewood, pulling tree stumps & pulling cut trees out of the woods wether on forks or pulled by chains. Thats the type of work this guy would have to be up for. Im guessing I would put around 700 hours per year on the motor.