Register free!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best product for residual efficacy around vacant buildings

I have a customer who owns a large, abandoned industrial site (future development). Their only concern is in aesthetics. They would rather the site not look "overgrown". I did a gly./ammonium sulfate "burn" for all the weeds growing up through the cracks between the buildings and the immediately adjacent pavement/walks about 2wks ago. The results have been good. But, I'm concerned with the long-term efficacy.

I've been reading about products such as Sureguard and Surflan. I informed my customer that the "process" would likely take 3 apps.. I have some areas that would be too expensive to treat with (Total guess, here....and I'll seek your expertise into a possible inexpensive PreM for grassy areas) a Sureguard/Surflan product. BUT, I'm thinking the cracks at the building lines would be a great spot for these products.

Am I on the right track? +/- 4mos. residual efficacy (@ the building edges)?

There are several thousand LF of areas to be controlled. I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible (naturally). Time lapse (quick-ness) of efficacy is not a concern. We're looking for long-term efficacy.

I've searched for pricing on Sureguard. Lesco is through the roof. I'm just trying to get an idea on pricing.

Thank you for your input.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much sureguard do you plan on using?? It is 1 tsp/gal. and you should get at least 4 months of control. Keep in mind it has to be watered in and the areascant be disturbed. In the long run it is going to be cheaper and easier than using machines to
Maintain this place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Watering in is a problem. Some of these areas are under the drip edge. I know they must be getting "some" water (for the weeds to grow, there). But, I couldn't be sure of how much they would get.

No chance of it being disturbe, though.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you bring a hose to water in and just bill for your time?? It only needs to be done once.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, yeah. BUT, how much water are we talking about? Like I said, I have a few thousand feet of building lines.....and a 25gal tank!....lol

I can pretty much (with some exceptions) ride along and spray the initial app.. That's gonna take a few hours. Putting any amount of water on there could cost me a lot of time (based on the limitations of my equip.).

Also, I priced out surflan to about $0.30/gal, as part of solution. That sound about right?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't remember exactly but I think it needs 1" of irrigation. Look, using sureguard means virtually no work for 4
Months or going there every week with machines...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Diamond:

Hey...seriously, I appreciate your suggestion. I'll have to check to see if it's feasible. They're great customers. I won't work for free. But, I'll give them some lee-way (especially since MY equipment is somewhat the limiter, here). With a big enough tank, I could do this pretty handily.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you are just taking care of weeds around cracks and crevaces, use sahara you will get a solid 6 month or better control