Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Floating Decks and scaliping?

Do floating decks really help that much in prevention of scalping on uneven and/or "lumpy" lawns--especially bermuda.

I have been using my quick dually 44" (fixed deck) for 2 seasons on my yard. Although have had the lot topdressed for leveling purposes 2 seasons now, I still get some minor scalping with my mower set to 1".

Sooo, do floating decks really make that much difference with mild scalping? I wonder what I'm missing and/or how much my cut quality and finsished appearance would be if the quick had a floating deck..
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you tried spreading sand to fix the scalping issues?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had the entire lot topdressed with sand/compost mixture twice--although I would say that both applications combined would be the equivalent to ONE GOOD/Dense application.

I haven't tried "spot" filling with sand--although that may be my best/next option. I know that reel mowers are king for bermuda cut 1" or less, but still wonder if a floating deck would have made a legitimate improvement.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj78 View Post
Do floating decks really help that much in prevention of scalping on uneven and/or "lumpy" lawns--especially bermuda.

I have been using my quick dually 44" (fixed deck) for 2 seasons on my yard. Although have had the lot topdressed for leveling purposes 2 seasons now, I still get some minor scalping with my mower set to 1".

Sooo, do floating decks really make that much difference with mild scalping? I wonder what I'm missing and/or how much my cut quality and finsished appearance would be if the quick had a floating deck..
I'd say it helps but if you are trying to go below 2", it'll still scalp. I've used 3 different types of floating decks on my bermuda and had scalping issues with all, (48" & 40"). I'm trying to go to a smaller deck now (36") to see if that helps. I've been slowly filling in the areas with issues but need a full top dress at some point. I wind up busting out the 21" for those really wavy areas, it's a few extra minutes but it makes it look better.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have my 52" turbo force deck on my toro ztr set on 2" (I think the actual mow height is 1/2" lower). Once I moved my anti scalp wheels to a hole lower than the manual says for the 2" setting, I stopped scalping. The deck rides on the wheels quite a bit, so it is wearing the wheels (hopefully nothing else). Even with the wheels down, I have to take it slow on the turn arounds or I will scalp. If you look at the toro articulated rotary deck golf mowers (3500d), you will notice the anti scalp wheels are actually steel...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I feel better that I'm not missing the boat by not having a floating deck. I guess i'll need to mow a little slower, and continue topdressing several more times to level as much as possible.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're cutting your own grass at 1" and asking about scalping in a commercial lawn mowing forum,
come on man, stop jerking us around.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
You're cutting your own grass at 1" and asking about scalping in a commercial lawn mowing forum,
come on man, stop jerking us around.
Sorry man--didn't mean to offend, but I thought there would be more feedback here considering the original question ( and thread title) for that matter was pretty universal and broad spectrum.

whether I mow mow own grass and/or others at 1" or 4", the floating vs. fixed deck is the topic here.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
whether I mow mow own grass and/or others at 1" or 4", the floating vs. fixed deck is the topic here.
That statement would be true if you left out the fact that you are mowing Bermuda at 1". Any rotary mower of decent size is going to scalp in places at 1". Personally, I'd be using a reel mower if I wanted my Bermuda at 1".

If you want to just discuss scalping differences between a floating and fixed deck the answer is obvious. Floating decks are less prone to scalp or nobody would buy them.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
That statement would be true if you left out the fact that you are mowing Bermuda at 1". Any rotary mower of decent size is going to scalp in places at 1". Personally, I'd be using a reel mower if I wanted my Bermuda at 1".

If you want to just discuss scalping differences between a floating and fixed deck the answer is obvious. Floating decks are less prone to scalp or nobody would buy them.
Just trying to here from peolpe's experiences as to whether the floating deck makes a significant diff. in scalping. Obviously other variables come into play such as turf smoothness--and cut height.

based upon your reply, would you ascert that that lower one cuts, the more influence the deck type has on cut quality?