Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Is Irrigation Possible on This One?

Need some suggestions from the wise old owls here. We built a house on 2 acres, former farm land out in the country in North Carolina last year and now would like to find out if irrigation is possible or even practical for us and see if there are options such as other grass types that may not need as much irrigation as the Fescue we were considering. For now we would like to irrigate the front, sides and a small portion of the back yard, about 3/4 acre and run some drip lines to landscape shrubbery in the front and back and to three new red maples we planted in the front yard. Here's what we have:

At the time of the well installation the well driller ended up going down 508' and had to stop when he hit black rock. The well was delivering 2 gallons per minute at that point. Our builder was aware we wanted to install irrigation and advised we try it, that the well might be borderline OK if we supplemented it with an in-ground tank so we buried a 3500 gallon fiberglass farm tank that is connected to the roof down spouts. After thinking about this I began to wonder how this arrangement could help much knowing the irrigation installation will require the tank to be connected to the well also. I suppose there will have to be a transfer valve to switch between the two or between the tank and the house but in order to use the system regularily the well will have to keep the tank full. If the well has filled the tank any rain water would go out the overflow I suppose.

At 2gpm the well would have the tank full again in 24 hours but this does not take into account demand from the house. Can the well pump work that hard and survive for long? Someone suggested I will get a lot of sand if I try to put that much demand on such a small well; eventually I will be pumping mud I guess he meant. Suggestions?

Thanks, Greg
Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

If you can do centipede in the Charlotte area, I would go with that, and skip the irrigation. I live on a well system, and did not install irrigation because of concerns for running it dry. I don't know if those are real concerns, but I did not want to find out. I live in the country, and when its dry, my fescue goes dormant. I over seed it in the fall, and it looks great for next year (until we dry out again...).
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Greg , you want to fill te tank with the well and have a jet pump setup from the tank to the irrigation system. You will also want a flow senser to shut down the pump when the tank is empty.

If a mod can move this to irrigation , Greg will get a lot more esponses. Some may even answer his question.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Many thanks for the tips guys!

Hope a mod will consider moving this to irrigation. I was not sure I was permitted to post a question there as a homeowner.