Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydro Pistol Grips Stick?

I have a 48" Walk behind with pistol grips. When I go to make a right turn or even a left turn at times and brake for that side it will stick for a second or two... I was wondering where the problem might be with this as Im new to the hydro part.

Thank you!
-Jon
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been having the same problem with my new Gravely. Was hoping it would wear in quickly but no such luck. From what i can tell its happening because the thumb latches havent worn in yet and still have a tacky powder coat or some type of coating on them. Ive just been putting dry lube on them daily so far but im about to take a file to them. What type of mower is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw900 View Post
I have a 48" Walk behind with pistol grips. When I go to make a right turn or even a left turn at times and brake for that side it will stick for a second or two... I was wondering where the problem might be with this as Im new to the hydro part.

Thank you!
-Jon
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Its an older Lesco. I thought maybe at first it was the grips themselves, but Im thinking now maybe the brake pads are sticking...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bought mine brand new of the lot like that still working fine after 8 years just kinda got used to it.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

If its a hydro it shouldnt have brake pads. Try getting some dry lube and hosing down the controols in the morning before you use it, im guessing this should help. Have you checked the hydro fluid recently? That may also be part of the problem if its low.

Quote:
Its an older Lesco. I thought maybe at first it was the grips themselves, but Im thinking now maybe the brake pads are sticking...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Thank you!
-Jon
try white grease in the can and spray all joints. I have the cub commercial 48 hydro and mine stick sometimes and i have to grease the joints (connections to the grip down). Now i will tell you that they (both lesco and cub) have a drum style brake and some moister can get in there ans slow the reaction down a little. I just use the mower and it goes away in 15 min or so. Hope this helps
  3. 60 (07) tank z-turn
  4. redmax weed wakers and backpacks
  5. and a t-230 shindy weed waker so old that moses use it to weed wake around the ark as they was building it lol
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I would do if it always sticks is just learn to start turning that much ahead of time, I mean there are a lot of things in this
business and the machines, the way things go and the way it likes to act, practice and experience but for the most part just
go with the flow, and don't fix what ain't broke.