Register free!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
maybe not in NJ, but they sell Toro controllers for certain, and one of the features of the stuff I install is that controllers have a cover with the operating instructions on the inside, which is something they might not find at a home center

That Hunter controller I have is an indoor model.The same controller in an "outdoor" model.does come with a cover. I guess Hunter sees no need for a cover on indoor models,but,I do see your point as a professional selling to a homeowner,where they will most likley need a manual close by.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

an outdoor X-Core controller, with a cover, is about $20 more, which is a lot to pay for something I got gratis with the SRC controllers

I don't think it is junk. I think it looks junky, which is their transparent motivation for me to install the Pro-C controllers instead.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a cheap Hunter controller.
The PVC 45's look like crap.
At least it's in a shed.
Good thing you saved the box.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't worry, for an entry level controller, that one is just fine. Small display is my only gripe about it. Works fine when I see it and program it.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think Hunter just wanted to sell more Pro-C controllers, so they had to trash the SRC line
Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

X Cores are ok for entry level, but it looks naked without a cover. As already stated there is a quick guide on the inside of the cover which is useful for homeowners. I have replaced 2 of them at jobs in the past 6 months where they were not working. One had power supply issues, and the other one the dial would not move to the correct setting. I turned the dial to set the time etc and nothing happened. I had to jiggle it to get it to work.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
Looks like a cheap Hunter controller.
The PVC 45's look like crap.
At least it's in a shed.
Good thing you saved the box.

Once I paint all the pvc gray,you will not know the difference. The box will soon be fed to the fire.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoflow View Post
X Cores are ok for entry level, but it looks naked without a cover. As already stated there is a quick guide on the inside of the cover which is useful for homeowners. I have replaced 2 of them at jobs in the past 6 months where they were not working. One had power supply issues, and the other one the dial would not move to the correct setting. I turned the dial to set the time etc and nothing happened. I had to jiggle it to get it to work.
I think all controllers with a dial will have a possibilty of that "have to jiggle" problem. Jiggle-free dials cost real money.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoflow View Post
Damn,I take my box burning statement back. Well,if I do have problems,the supply house will take it back no problem,even without the box. We shall see what happens down the road.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I think all controllers with a dial will have a possibilty of that "have to jiggle" problem. Jiggle-free dials cost real money.
This one was really bad! It would take me 5 minutes of trying to get it to do what it was supposed to do each time I wanted to adjust something.