Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you tell your customers about weed control after you install a mulch bed?

Whose responsibility is it to control the weeds after the mulch bed has been installed? How do you word it to the customer?

Do you agree to control the weeds for the entire time you are managing their property or mowing their yard? Do you leave them with some Preen? lol...
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I spot-spray on my high-end accounts almost weekly. It's included in the pricing.

My largest, "I" assume a little responsibility. I didn't recommend a PreM, prior to installing their bedding material (pine needles).

But, we put them in a good 4-6" thick. So, residual control hasn't been that bad. And, like I said, I stay on top of it, weekly.

On my commercial accounts, I price the initial app. (gly) early int he season. I charge them about an hour/mos. (sometimes more, as needed) for control. Seems to work.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are supplying a product that is natural and could have a tendency to have weed seed matter. It is no one's fault and no one's responsibility except the customer. They are the one's who either hire you to maintain the beds or someone else that is licensed to apply herbicides. IF this bed is a new install and you applied at least 4 inches of whichever mulch the customer chooses, the weeds will be hastened a bit. I presume the beds were weed free after you installed the mulch. If you installed a thin layer of one inch or so, then the weeds will soon invade and sprout. You can do spot spraying until the soil settles around any new plantings. After the soil settles out, then applying granules of quality commercial herbicides will provide a couple months control with minimal outbreaks. Make sure you know the weeds that are a problem in your area......read the label on the herbicide and decide what product is good for you.

The trick again is being able to purchase a pro product! Over the counter home owner products aren't even efficient and will need to be applied often.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post

The trick again is being able to purchase a pro product! Over the counter home owner products aren't even efficient and will need to be applied often.
How can I buy pro products? Go to local Lesco store and complete the license class or whatever?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You need to discover what restrictions your State withholds for being licensed in Herbicide applications. You can either be licensed as a Commercial Applicator or whichever category your state offers. If you hire yourself out to apply herbicides, whether they are liquid, powder, or granular a license is needed. In your state, you may or may not charge tax on products and services rendered. This then becomes a local tax question to check in to.
Lesco sells all the products you need........but to be a person whom adds this service to your business, you will need a license first.
Read all labels completely. If you don't understand something...........read it again. The label is the Law! Federal Law!! I, we, they all comply to the same restrictions based on a Commercial Applicator's License restricted by each State you reside.