Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
IMO
It depends on the variety of Zoysia. The 'Cashemere' around here is typically mowed at .5 inches and 'Diamond' can be mowed at greens height.
I've seen 'Ultimate flora' and 'Empire' mowed at 2" with a rotary, and also mowed at about .75". The shorter looks 10x better.
Shorter= Denser
Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bugs n bows

You said somthing interesting. You said Jamar......can you tell me where I can pull this from locally? I have a client that wants 14 palletsinstalled but only jamar. I called Orange county extension, sod solutions, bethal farms and several other trying to find with no luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorinFla View Post
Shorter= Denser
But at what cost I guess is my question, cultivator dependent of course, Empire in particular. I would assume that there are pluses to each side of height, and that was I was interested in hearing especially from the Chem guys. In a ideal world what would they want all their Zoysia lawns cut at in FL and what reasoning behind the desired cut height.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Bugs n bows

You said somthing interesting. You said Jamar......can you tell me where I can pull this from locally? I have a client that wants 14 palletsinstalled but only jamar. I called Orange county extension, sod solutions, bethal farms and several other trying to find with no luck
Posted via Mobile Device
S & K in St. Cloud lists it. That's the closest I found.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The grass will go dormant in the winter and will not need to cut it. Alot of people are switching over to this stuff. Will soon replace St.Augustine . Most who have it cant see paying a lawn guy in the winter when it really dont grow. That is why I still like St.augustine. Still have to cut in winter.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
But at what cost I guess is my question, cultivator dependent of course, Empire in particular. I would assume that there are pluses to each side of height, and that was I was interested in hearing especially from the Chem guys. In a ideal world what would they want all their Zoysia lawns cut at in FL and what reasoning behind the desired cut height.
Mowing it shorter and going lean on Nitrogen and proper water helps to reduce thatch build-up. It will still need to be verticut periodically.
I don't believe mowing height relates to disease incidence.
Greendoc may have some insight on that.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I mow plenty at 3.5-4 inches that look fine for what the customers want. Most don't want it shorter as it tends to need more maintenance. Either way I still cut every week they just save penny's on water. I've seen many homeowners lose there Zoysia due to drought tolerant not proof confusion. I like my Grand Parents Bermuda much better than the Zoysia only downside is mowing it about every 5 days for it to look good and bagging with the old mcclane kinda sucks. I tried mowing some Zoysia with the reel but the customers flipped out when I told them how short I planned on take it down to. I wasn't just going to shave it either probably take .25 inches extra off at a time. One down side to Zoysia is it really only looks good about 7 months out of the year last year.

Last edited by unkownfl; 07-06-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
The grass will go dormant in the winter and will not need to cut it. Alot of people are switching over to this stuff. Will soon replace St.Augustine . Most who have it cant see paying a lawn guy in the winter when it really dont grow. That is why I still like St.augustine. Still have to cut in winter.
Not overly concerned about it at this point. It is growing and the request for it are getting crazy BUT if people want to not have their lawn maintained year round that is fine, but they have to understand that their is a premium for the months of service vs the current standard we have here in FL. Trust me when I say I am from up north and would have no issue getting a better price per cut and not showing up at all winter or if we have a good warm winter earning a little extra, but the simple fact is, you, me - we have to be able to support ourselves from this - and most reasonable people will understand that.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
I don't believe mowing height relates to disease incidence.
Greendoc may have some insight on that.
That is what I am looking for I guess. Insight from you guys that are doing the chemicals - what are your thoughts. Dependent on who you talk to, it is a pretty well believed notion with many that mowing height does related to diseases (well stresses for sure any way). I am looking for info in what you L & O folk think, so that I can help you achieve your desired results, which in turn, helps me achieve mine.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I mow plenty at 3.5-4 inches that look fine for what the customers want. Most don't want it shorter as it tends to need more maintenance. Either way I still cut every week they just save penny's on water. I've seen many homeowners lose there Zoysia due to drought tolerant not proof confusion. I like my Grand Parents Bermuda much better than the Zoysia only downside is mowing it about every 5 days for it to look good and bagging with the old mcclane kinda sucks. I tried mowing some Zoysia with the reel but the customers flipped out when I told them how short I planned on take it down to. I wasn't just going to shave it either probably take .25 inches extra off at a time. One down side to Zoysia is it really only looks good about 7 months out of the year last year.
Unknown - with the lawns maintained at the higher cut heights - do they not appear puffy? The way I describe the zoysia lawns that I have seen cut higher is that they look like a giant "Afro Puff" of a lawn. I am assuming that is related to the thatch being built up as plantculture referenced.