Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2002, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it's a Tecumseh from what you discribed. Have you ever checked to see if the blade is on it and tight? This will act the same as a flywheel key and is simpler to check. Energy is stored in the blade to help it power past the point of combustion. Without it it will try to fire and power the piston the other way jerking the starter rope handle out of your hand.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by khouse
it's a Tecumseh from what you discribed. Have you ever checked to see if the blade is on it and tight? This will act the same as a flywheel key and is simpler to check. Energy is stored in the blade to help it power past the point of combustion. Without it it will try to fire and power the piston the other way jerking the starter rope handle out of your hand.
Ok... I know one day I will look back on this and laugh. When I went to take the nut off I found out the blade was loose (from what I just read the loose blade might have been the trouble). So I tightened it down and took the nut off. Then I came in and informed ya'll how far I gotten. Just now I got my wife to go out and help me. I took a flat bar with a screw driver and pryed while my wife hit the loosened nut on the top of the crankshaft. Finally, we got it off. I took the flywheel inside and read the marking on it... it is a Tecumseh. Well, I have the flywheel key in my hand and tomorrow I will be off to get a replacement.

Well, I will let you know when it is up and running.
Darb
Old 10-26-2002, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!! While you have the thing apart you might as well change the gaskets on the carb if they need it. O, one more tip, at trade school I learned that to set the coil against the flywheel, take a dollar bill and fold it once lengthways and put it in between the coil and flywheel, then once you tighten the coil down, hold pressure on one end of the dollar bill and turn the flywheel. If you tear the dollar bill, you can always take it to the bank and get it replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. If you have any more trouble, don't hesitate to ask more questions, I do it all the time.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mower17
Congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!! While you have the thing apart you might as well change the gaskets on the carb if they need it. O, one more tip, at trade school I learned that to set the coil against the flywheel, take a dollar bill and fold it once lengthways and put it in between the coil and flywheel, then once you tighten the coil down, hold pressure on one end of the dollar bill and turn the flywheel. If you tear the dollar bill, you can always take it to the bank and get it replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. If you have any more trouble, don't hesitate to ask more questions, I do it all the time.
So the object is to tear the dollar bill? Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when you found the loose blade you found the problem. why don't you just put it back together and try to start it. i don't see any reason to do any more to it. your making more work for yourself. no need to change the coil air gap. just put it all back and pull the rope. but make sure your blade is tight to the crankshaft. even if the bolt is tight make sure the blade is too. don't mess with the carb either. once you trouble shoot a problem and find the problem then go just that far and stop - unless you just want to rebuild the whole unit. it's like your looking for your lost tv remote control and after you find it you still are looking for it. just turn the tv on.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

YES it started and sounded like a Porsche Carrera GT. Let me tell you I am so happy. I learned a lot too, I guess that happens when you take an engine apart and put it back together again!! Just one more question... what do I do with the leftover parts???? Only kidding.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for helping me. Are any of you going to the GIE Show in Nashville the middle of November? We are seriously thinking about it... maybe we can get together and I can buy you a beer.
Darb
Old 10-27-2002, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darb
[B]YES it started and sounded like a Porsche Carrera GT. Let me tell you I am so happy. I learned a lot too, I guess that happens when you take an engine apart and put it back together again!! Just one more question... what do I do with the leftover parts????

just trow em in a can, after a few years you have enough to make another mower.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Darb thats great that you got it back together and it works. Thanks for posting the results.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't be at Nashville so you can just send the money!