Register free!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

training someone to spray

does anyone know of any test or web site that I can have a new guy that just past his state test look over. he wont be spraying anything but round up this year but next year would be nice to run two app trucks.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have him go with you to do apps. I trained my guy by running routes with me, I would do one he would the other. Takes time, longer than you expect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
Have him go with you to do apps. I trained my guy by running routes with me, I would do one he would the other. Takes time, longer than you expect.
Posted via Mobile Device
A monkey training a monkey...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
A monkey training a monkey...
Posted via Mobile Device
At least I can flow the ppe label...not spraying in my under wear, just because I feel like it..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
At least I can flow the ppe label...not spraying in my under wear, just because I feel like it..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Ouch...my feelings are hurt...I'm actually sheading tears.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Besides...who said anything about underwear...I go full commando.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed.

Every person I've ever trained rode in the truck with me for a minimum of about a month(when training to spray with hose/gun). It takes this long to be sure all the techniques...overlap, trimming, edging are done properly and according to your standards. This will also give you a chance to point out specific weeds/diseases common to your region and ways to handle them and the customers that ask questions about them. This is why it hurts so bad when an employees quits. Try to make sure you have the RIGHT person. Good Luck.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like I remember training our new Tru Green rookies for about 4 days inside in the last week of February. We included some indoor spreader training for an hour or two. Then if the snow melted, they would ride with myself or a veteran using the spreader for a day. Training to spray lasted about a day also. We concentrated on avoiding streaks, avoid twisting the hose, feather the gun, and avoiding burning the lawns while spraying. We showed them how to clean the filter, fill the tank, kick-in the PTO, and of course fill out the invoices and paperwork, (like the "Production Report")( and customer route card).
Old 07-20-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The guy I have working for me only works pt but has been with me for years. I think I'm going to take pics of common weeds and make a book with ID how to kill info. This will help me as well can never hurt. After all I have violets that are killing me this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Seems like I remember training our new Tru Green rookies for about 4 days inside in the last week of February. We included some indoor spreader training for an hour or two. Then if the snow melted, they would ride with myself or a veteran using the spreader for a day. Training to spray lasted about a day also. We concentrated on avoiding streaks, avoid twisting the hose, feather the gun, and avoiding burning the lawns while spraying. We showed them how to clean the filter, fill the tank, kick-in the PTO, and of course fill out the invoices and paperwork, (like the "Production Report")( and customer route card).
Something tells me they still use this training schedule with "newbies" to this day. Nothing against you John. Knowing what an upstanding man you are, I'm sure you taught the trainees all you could in the time that management allotted you. Four days doesn't even scratch the surface IMO.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor