Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think i got em scared

i got a call around 0700 yesterday from a guy that always sits next o me at seminars, great guy, good troubleshooter.

they had a Cal Trans job that had an open on the install, head guy spent 2 days with a 521 tracing wires and couldn't find the compromise.

i was to call the head tech/foreman when i passed a certain bridge and he would get me into a turnout. i call, turn around and pull up and the guy tells me that he found the faulty splice just before i called him.

this guy is grinning ear to ear and looking at me funny, at the verge of laughter. come to find out his boss told him that if he couldn't find it, that he would call someone that could.

i don't know if he was grinning because of the way i look or that he may have saved his job.

i demoed the pro-800, showed the kid how to do a short to earth measurement (which would have saved his ass in the first place) and pinpointed 2 solenoids in wireless mode. all in all, they got their moneys worth.

i have as of now located 20 valves in wireless mode, tomorrow i hope will be 28 as i have a locate 50 miles south with a common compromise and 8 missing valves.

i have asked a few of the 800 owners to attempt a wireless valve locate and so far no one has had, i don't think that what i am doing is anything special and i am not ready to say that all valves can be located this way but, i'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Show off!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I sent you a pm.. I'm getting the 800 soon, boss man says I deserve it.

Locating is fun, if i'm not stressed on time.. Then I'm annoyed and rushed
Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim - I've been doing more experimenting with the broadcast mode.

I had some time on Monday waiting for a utility locate on a site, so I popped the 800 out and tried tracing the wire path of the existing system in broadcast.

The trace went well, but I sure can't hear a difference when I pass over a valve. I went directly over an exposed valve box and didn't seem to get any indication of the solenoid.

Can you please refresh my memory on what you're hearing when you find a valve?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Jim - I've been doing more experimenting with the broadcast mode.

I had some time on Monday waiting for a utility locate on a site, so I popped the 800 out and tried tracing the wire path of the existing system in broadcast.

The trace went well, but I sure can't hear a difference when I pass over a valve. I went directly over an exposed valve box and didn't seem to get any indication of the solenoid.

Can you please refresh my memory on what you're hearing when you find a valve?
i am finding a "donut" shaped signal that peaks slightly around the valve. this is about a 2' circle and leads up to the solenoid, when directly above the solenoid i am getting a null response. you have to be very careful and look for a deflection of the analog meter and be able to differentiate the signal as you pass through the path of the solenoid.

i had an eight valve locate today, nine valve system only one valve working.

this is a no BS story, it took me every locator that i own and three hours to find the first valve, another three hours to find the other seven and clean up, get a check and make arraignments to do some locating at the owners home, ranch and store.

i guess that it has been a week since the sprinklers worked and they have been trying to get the problem solved using their handyman (he's a good guy with good intentions but lacks electrical skills).

i went on site with the information that all but the one valve didn't work, i was prepared for a quick locate (common wire compromise) and spend the time wireless.

when i checked the controller i got good readings on all stations (co compromise) field and solenoids, short to earth showed no contact. at this point i asked the handyman about what had changed or if anything had been worked on and he said that everything worked, water was on and the only work had been a pressure switch swap on the pump.

this is a working orchard and the irrigation was running while i was working.

i was unable to pick up a solid signal using the 800, the 600, the 521 or the dynatel. there was every conflict you can imagine on this site. att-gas-power-over head and underground-110 area lights-low voltage lights-water feature and maybe something else that i forgot.

i felt like i was gonna fail but i wouldn't quit. i don't know right now how i got the signal for the wire path but once i found the first valve i averaged one every 15 mins.

these valves were buried in the most unthunkout manner, nothing made sense but, still batting 1000

i haven't had this hard of a locate in at least 5 or 6 years.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I sent you a pm.. I'm getting the 800 soon, boss man says I deserve it.

Locating is fun, if i'm not stressed on time.. Then I'm annoyed and rushed
you deserve the 800 mitch
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
these valves were buried in the most unthunkout manner, nothing made sense
What the hell are you doing in TX?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post