Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many miles is too many on an enclosed trailer?

I have been about to pull the trigger on a new enclosed trailer, but recently found one that really has me interested.

It is almost everything I need (minus color and side treadplate) but it has the most important option-5200lb axles.
It is a 2012 model that the guy bought July 2011 for his moving company. He moves motorcycles and small cars in an 8.5x18 foot enclosed trailer from Daytona Florida to Montreal Canada. My only concern before I go to look at it is that he estimates that there is around 25,000 miles on it.. Which is a lot for a trailer but I would think the only things to go bad would be brakes wheel bearings and tires right?

Is there anything else I should be looking at when I look at it
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
I have been about to pull the trigger on a new enclosed trailer, but recently found one that really has me interested.

It is almost everything I need (minus color and side treadplate) but it has the most important option-5200lb axles.
It is a 2012 model that the guy bought July 2011 for his moving company. He moves motorcycles and small cars in an 8.5x18 foot enclosed trailer from Daytona Florida to Montreal Canada. My only concern before I go to look at it is that he estimates that there is around 25,000 miles on it.. Which is a lot for a trailer but I would think the only things to go bad would be brakes wheel bearings and tires right?

Is there anything else I should be looking at when I look at it
seriously, you pay attention to the miles a trailer has.

as long as it's in good condition who cares how many miles it has on it. when i go to sell my trailer for a new one in the future there is no way i could even begin to estimate how many miles my trailer will have on it. not something i pay attention to at all.

thanks for the laugh man, i needed that one.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well lets see. Got a single axle open trailer 6x12 no brakes got 50,000 miles on it an was hoping to drive it 850 miles round trip to pic up a free washer drier combo. If that helps.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have way in excess of 25,000 miles on mine. On the original brake shoes and wheel bearings. And yes, the brakes work.

On an enclosed trailer some of the things you might look at is where the body attaches to the floor. Check the rivets holding the body panels together. Look at the wiring and see if it looks like a professional did it. Look at the tires, the emergency breakaway and battery. Look over the tongue real good and make sure the chains are in good shape and there isn't excessive rust on the assembly. The tongue where it rides on the ball should be in excellent shape. You can tap on it with something metal and get a rough idea of if it's wearing through. You know, stuff like that.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
seriously, you pay attention to the miles a trailer has.

as long as it's in good condition who cares how many miles it has on it. when i go to sell my trailer for a new one in the future there is no way i could even begin to estimate how many miles my trailer will have on it. not something i pay attention to at all.

thanks for the laugh man, i needed that one.
lol Although I do realize how bad that post sounded, It was actually a very legitimate question. I have read posts on here of people who have enclosed trailers that have stress cracks and weak points after a lot of usage while being loaded up. I was wondering what to look for when looking at it, I have never had an enclosed trailer before but I have had plenty of open trailers and know that mileage means almost nothing on those.. But since I am new with enclosed I didnt know when they started to fall apart. I read a post on here about a guy whose enclosed trailer started to have the body lift off of the frame..
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, do not mind Yardguy28 JD, he gets full of himself from time too time.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Barnes View Post
Ah, do not mind Yardguy28 JD, he gets full of himself from time too time.
nah I laughed when I read it because I realized how newbie-ish it sounded. But I did have some legitimate questions in there
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
lol Although I do realize how bad that post sounded, It was actually a very legitimate question. I have read posts on here of people who have enclosed trailers that have stress cracks and weak points after a lot of usage while being loaded up. I was wondering what to look for when looking at it, I have never had an enclosed trailer before but I have had plenty of open trailers and know that mileage means almost nothing on those.. But since I am new with enclosed I didnt know when they started to fall apart. I read a post on here about a guy whose enclosed trailer started to have the body lift off of the frame..
i'd say that probably has more to do with a cheaply built trailer than anything. proper care it oughta last a long long time there's not much mechanical on them.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen some around here where the rear end is all tore up from being dragged.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok...you said its a 2012 model which unless he beat the hell outta it should be in good condition. Also if he was pulling it from florida to canada regularly, surely he knew the importance of keeping up with maintenance as not to break down on the way no? 25k is alot in a year but nowhere near what that trailer should handle. Just look it over and as long as there are no real issues it should serve you well. If anything try and talk him down a bit because of its heavy usage.
Posted via Mobile Device