Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Lontrel Application Rate in Juniper?

I bought a quart of Lontrel to kill Poision Ivy in blue rug Juniper. I have a Shurflo sprayer that I am mixing 1/2 oz per gallon. I have applied it twice with no effect at all. I went back to Lesco for advice and they told me it would not work for poision ivy even though they suggested it. I have been reading that it has been used in the past. What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

Thanks,
JT in NC
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

That's a pretty low rate, doesn't the bottle recommend up to 1 1/2 oz. per gallon?

I'm actually typing this at lunch and on my way out for a second app of Lontrel on Juniper. It killed everything but the field bindweed (and the Juniper of course) on the first app, I'm hoping the second app has more effect on the bindweed.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Lontrel is not labeled for poison ivy control, not saying it won't kill it but it does not list it as a weed that it will take care of. This is not a chemical that has a mix rate per gallon. Do you know how many square feet you are applying this chemical to?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Lontrel Application Rate in Juniper?

I have a 500 ft x 20 = 10,000 square feet. The owner want to rip up and replace, but I said maybe we can kill it. The juniper is healthy except for the poision ivy. Side note Ivy Block Lotion that you apply before working in it really does works. 95 degree day chainsawing poision ivy wrapped trees and not a place on me . Unbeliver had to to go and get shots for the rash.

Thanks,
JT in NC
Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put in a gallon of water and spray cement. Measure the wet area. Find out how many sqft a gallon covers with your setup. Mix accordingly.
Suppose you found that you covered 2000 sqft per gallon. Then you would need one ounce per gallon. If you used a four gallon backpack your would need 4 ounces. That would be enough to treat 8000 of your 10,000 sqft.
Now remember that treating bushes and trees requires almost double gallons per 1000 sqft because of all the vertical surface you need to cover.
Make sure the poison ivy is not mature or dormant, but in a stage of rapid growth. And true, it is not on the label.
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld2QB003.pdf